I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First time got a question
Posted by: Justin Duhon (---.gt.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2010 10:20PM

Ok guys first off thinks for the help. I started my first wrap job this weekend I'm rebuilding an uglystick 6'6" boat road 15-40lb I have a couple of questions about guides and thier placement. I'm using the Virtus Lite Saltwater Casting Guides and when I ordered I didn't realize that they were such lowprofile if figured being suggested for 20-40 that they would have some standoff to the well they don't sit off the blank as far as I thought. I started with a 16 then 12,10 here is were the problem starts under extreme deflection like fish surges under the boat the line will touch the blank is this ok since under normal circumstances it will not touch. The original guide set allowed the line to go past the blank under this deflection. Just don't want to screw up a good rod whats yalls take.

I'm thinking to run 16,12,10,10,10,10,10,10,10 the 16,12 and one 10 are wrapped on already, was going to use 8 but they are to lowpro. With the reel I use on it the 16 is plenty big for the stripper and the rod will most always have 20lb on it maybe 30lb. Usally for bull reds, sharks, kings and what ever else I can find at the jetties or small marlin, sails (the rod done fine with the original guides on a 80-100lb sail) and Mahi on my Baja trips.

Will that be to many guides?
Should I cut it all off and get a higher profile guide?

Thanks guys

Oh and I'm sure yall know but even with 27 year old eyes Black A thread on a black blank is a pain I may have to get a magnifying light do any of yall use those?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First time got a question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2010 10:27PM

Before I would use higher framed guides I'd move to a spiral wrap and get the line under the rod. Most likely you'd enjoy how it performed.

Otherwise, the line just touching the blank under an extreme load for a moment or two isn't going to hurt anything. You're going to be fine with what you have it you decide to stick with it.

Posted by: Justin Duhon (---.gt.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2010 10:35PM

Thanks Tom nice to have a response so fast and be from you. So running the 16,12, and seven 10's should work ok? I like the spiral but I've already got three guides wrapped and for a new guy hand turning its not something I want to redo if possible.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2010 07:18AM

Yes, it will work okay.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster