I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Why build Custom Rods?
Posted by: Tom St.Blanc (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: February 14, 2010 12:22PM

Why?

Am I looking for an outlet for the artistic side of my personality?

Do I have visions of starting my own business and the big bucks just roll in?

Do I do it for the personal gratification of a job well done?

Do I want to impress my friends with a developed skill and I can give them unique gifts and services?

Sole searching.

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why build Custom Rods?
Posted by: Harold Dean (96.1.11.---)
Date: February 14, 2010 12:33PM

I build them for personal gratification. I like to think I build a rod that is tweaked to my customers personally, plus I can add a little bling to it that you can't get with an off the shelf rod. I build only fly rods, and the grip is the one area that you can really personalize to your customers wants and needs. Thicker, narrower, longer, shorter, what-ever works to fit their grip and style of fishing. It's the only place on the rod where you become one with the fish so I try to take extra care with it.

cheers
Harold

Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 14, 2010 12:46PM

I hope it's not because of visions of big bucks rolling in; I haven't heard of many wealthy rod builders unless they had money before they started building.

For me, I build because I love doing it; and I'm pretty happy just making enough money to keep building.

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2010 12:59PM

Because I can make a better one than I can buy.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-21rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: February 14, 2010 01:00PM

To get a rod that fits you exactly and does what you want it to do in the best possible fashion. Thats why I do it. My rods fit me and are more comfortable to fish with than anything I can get off the shelf. Plus, its fun!

Posted by: Nick Christou (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: February 14, 2010 01:34PM

Personal gratification!
And it is fun for me.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2010 01:52PM

Thomas;
Only you can answer those questions for yourself.
But I will give you a different perspective then what you'd expect as to part of the reason why I do.

I'm a plumbing contractor and have spent years building a rep for doing quality work. But no mater how good of a job I do. When I'm done they crap on it, and never think about me again until there's a problem.

When I build someone a rod they pick it up, look at, act like there casting it a few times, and say it’s beautiful. (The smiles say a lot in themselves).Take it out and use it for days of enjoyment, maybe some of the best times of their lives.
And to quote a friend;
“I know why you built me that rod, so that every time I take it out of the boat’s rod locker I would think of you”

Some times they even call to tell me the stories of the fish they’ve caught.

Sure beats the call from the other clients; “I realize its one o’clock in the morning, but my baby just flushed a diaper down the commode. Can you come out and take care of it”

Posted by: David Spence (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2010 02:16PM

To try and build the best for a fisherman who is dedicated enough to the sport to desire and appreciate the best. I want the customer to be amazed both by the design and the performance and also to be assured that the rod will never be duplicated for another person.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 14, 2010 02:32PM

Thomas

I decided to build a rod or two just as a hobby - something to do for a while! In the process I found out that I could actually build a rod that performed much better and looked much better than the rods I was buying retail. I have since built about 20 rods for friends and family and get "wows" and other assorted compliments from all that I have built one for. It's personally satisfying to see and fish the final product of my "hobby"!!

Rog

Date: February 14, 2010 02:52PM

Thank you all for sharing some of your personal perspectives.

I know there is an artist inside me. This medium seems to have been looking for me and didn’t find me until I saw Mud Hole at the Denver Outdoor Expo this year. Hit me like a brick. I have never given it a thought until that moment.

Having been in Aerospace Quality Assurance for my entire career, all I can think about is to continually improve. With your help and experience, new builders like me through this forum can obtain that perfect product.

Vince Lombardi once said, nobody can reach perfection. By seeking perfection you will find excellence along the way.

Tom

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2010 04:29PM

Thomas;
One way for you to really get a heads up on how to build top quality rods, whether looking for performance or beauty. Would be to attend the International Custom Rod Expo next week end. 20 seminars on virtually everything a person could want to know about rod building and enough exquisitely built custom rods on display to give you enough ideas for the rest of your life, and the supplies to get you started
[www.icrbe.com]

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: February 15, 2010 02:12AM

1. Lower cost for ultra performance rods. (Have you priced any of the Japanese high end rods?)
2. Better performance than ANY factory rods, even the high priced Japanese ones.
3. Thoroughly enjoyable process, especially satisfying to the engineering side.
4 Much more ergonomic as it can be customized to a specific person.
5. Great community.
etc.

Mo

Posted by: Bill Burkett (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: February 15, 2010 10:23AM

Because I HAVE TO - It's an addiction.

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: February 16, 2010 09:28AM

Thomas, If your in CO, shoot me an email and I'll send you info on some rod building get-togethers, very informal, but I've taught a few folks to build rods.

Date: February 16, 2010 01:08PM

Thank Andrew. Done

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster