I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Plastics/Light Jig Rod Suggestions
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: February 08, 2010 04:46PM

Looking to build a baitcasting rod paired with a Diawa Fuego, that will be in use for mainly TRigged plastics, tubes, and light jigs. Looking for any suggestions on a rod that would be best for these applications, dont want an overly stiff rod that will hinder the casting ability, but dont want too small a rod that will take away from hook setting. Any suggestions would be great!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Plastics/Light Jig Rod Suggestions
Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (64.122.91.---)
Date: February 08, 2010 05:38PM

JAY...A LTTLE MORE INFO ... HOW LONG ARE YOU LOOKING FOR...AND WHEN YOU SAY LIGHT JIGS...DOES THAT MEAN UNDER A 1/4 OZ OR LESS

Bill@midwestrodandreel.com
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Posted by: Todd Badgley (---.sip.mem.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 08, 2010 05:51PM

I've built 2 rods for weightless senko's, small flukes, sammy's, and 1/4oz swim jigs. I used the St Croix 6'6" SCIII Medium power, fast action.
I fish fluorocarbon on Shimano Chronarchs. The action of this rod works very well for me. For texas rigged plastics, and any jig fished slow I have built 2 rods on the St Croix 7' SCIII - Med Heavy, fast action. I can cast the weightless plastics well with the lighter rod and have good hook setting power. For the texas rigged plastics I feel I need a heavier rod with extra backbone. When I first built the 7' med heavy, I was concerned with casting. After spending some time this past summer it turned out to be no problem at all. Bob McKamey at Mudhole helped walk me through my first several rods.
My next worm rod I plan to try the SCV or North Fork HM blanks for extra sensitivity. Can't wait for the Expo.
Just my 2 cents, so take it for what it's worth.

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.gnvl.sc.charter.com)
Date: February 08, 2010 05:51PM

More information will help, but this sounds like a pretty universal bass rod. Every manufacturer has a version of a MB (mag bass) 843 (7’ medium heavy fast action) blank that would work very well for you.

Date: February 08, 2010 06:20PM

Looking for a 6'8 - 7 ft rod, medium w/ fast tip (dont want a MH action), jigs will be under a 1/4 ounce. Most TRiggs and Tubes/Jigs are going to be thrown with around 1/8 - 1/4 oz the very heaviest. I have a heavier action rod for most jigs. This rod will be used for smallies/Largemouth, edges of cover and around submerged off shore areas.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 08, 2010 06:40PM

Any blank you look at it IMHO is best to look at the lour weight that you will be casting. Find one that the weight is in the middle of the range - The Sweet Spot. Good starting point.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ben Hutton (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 08, 2010 06:40PM

You might want to check out the Batson 822.5. I have never built on this blank but the specifications suggest that it would suit your needs. The 822.5 is a 6'10" extra-fast action, medium power blank and is offered in RX7, RX8 and RX8+ graphite.

Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (64.122.91.---)
Date: February 08, 2010 06:43PM

Tthree blanks come to mind...XSB822.5 med/fast...ISB822.5 med /x-fast and ISB802.75 med/x-fast...all would be great fit ...Midwest has them in stock and ready to ship...or see them all at the BIG EXPO in High Point

Bill@midwestrodandreel.com
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Date: February 08, 2010 07:08PM

I have built several spinning rods with the ISB 822.5 rod, also was really interested in that 802.75. That 822.5 might be the ticket for my next baitcasting rod. Was actually looking to build something that was similar to my spinning rod that could throw the same lures/ Will be in touch Bill

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: February 08, 2010 07:34PM

If I was going to throw around cover, I'd likely go with the St. Croix 3C68MXF.

If there was no cover, I might even opt for a St. Croix 3C69MLXF. I fish all those same baits on mine (though mine is built as spinning). I love the rod for this application.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.sub-166-156-63.myvzw.com)
Date: February 08, 2010 08:33PM

My go to blank for that use is the Batson RX8 XSB843-TC built casting. The XMB is nice, but I like the tip of the XSB better. I would not recommend the XSB802.5...way to light of a tip....that thing is a great DS rod....if they made an 822.75 in the RX8 series it would be great.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2010 09:08PM

The RX8+822.5 is an awesome blank, and if you are going to fish exposed hook is my recommendation.

But if you will be pulling the hook through the bait I would suggest this model equally impressive with just a tad more backbone.
RX8+C812 6'9" Medium Fast 8-14 1/4-5/8oz. 1.85oz. Satin Black

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2010 07:41AM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2010 12:44AM

DO you think the ISB 822.5 will be too light of a tip for fishing small jigs, trigged plastics and tubes. The XSB model is a fast action tip, while the ISB is Xtra Fast. I have my spinning reel hooked up with the ISB model 822.5, not sure that this is a hearty enough blank for the applications I am looking at. Is there a major difference in action between the ISB and XSB 822.5/

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2010 07:55AM

Jay,

I have both the RX8+S822.5 and RX8+S823. I have no problem using either with small T-rigged worms with 1/8 oz. weights. The difference comes with the jigs and tubes. The 822.5 just isn't stiff enough in the tip to crawl jigs and tubes through much cover at all, but is great for swimming presentations. The 823 has just a tad more stiffness in the tip, and drags lures through cover a bit better.

Joe

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 09, 2010 12:32PM

something that ends in "843"

i use an RX7 IMB843 and its plenty light for a 1/4oz bait - but i've pulled 6lbers out from under docks with it too. nice all around blank.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2010 05:11PM

Jay,
I find the XSBs to be very fast with AAs of 76 and 77 degrees. I think they are extra fast, even though they are rated fast by Batson.

Posted by: Angelo Fucci (193.111.46.---)
Date: February 16, 2010 05:08AM

My name is Angelo and I live in Rome (Italy).
I am interested in finding more info about Batson bass blanks.
In particular I'd like to know which differences are between XMB and XSB RX8 series (I mean 843 model).
I'd like also to get a XMB844-TC (lure weight up to 1oz).
Anyone could help me?
Thanks in advance.
A.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2010 05:14AM by Angelo Fucci.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster