I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod blanks
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: February 02, 2010 02:38PM

I has been looking for different type of rod blanks through website and your sponsor and i'm has been list alot of them and i has been looking for a 7'11" med/light casting rod blank with a fast action or extra fast in like 6-15 lb test range for small crankbait, popping, small topwater and i couldnt find anywhere so i would be gald to ask u if u k now any place or website i should check it out for ?
i want make list for a smallmouth bass blank i will make for myself from short to long rods type...
all i know shimano cruical does make a 7'11" med/light casting rod and i want to k now what do shimano use on rod blank and i dont see any of shimano that sell a rod blank in im9 or im10 graphite i just want to make the size as with minima reel seat and a butt fighiing cap very soon but need help on find more rod blanks
Josh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod blanks
Posted by: Robert Russell (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2010 04:59PM

Check out the Castaway 963 from Swampland. It is a popping blank that has power similar to a ML bass rod and a fast action.

Posted by: Joshua Dinklage (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2010 06:28PM

Batson also has a 963 popping blank that would work great for small cranks but it is mod fast (better for crankbaits than an extra fast or fast blank in my opinion).

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 02, 2010 06:37PM

Swampland offers a wide range of Batson and Castaway cranking blanks in length from 6' 6" to 7' 6". Most are moderate action with a few in the moderate/fast range.

Please give us a call or use the Contact Us link to arrange for a personal contact.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2010 07:38PM

St croix has some new extra fast tipped rods out.
I use the 7 foot rod and then extend the butt of the rod to get the added length.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: February 02, 2010 08:36PM

Roger, u mean extend add a butt on as telescope ? well i was figure out how to measure if i want to make to 7'11" from 7 ft med/light action and what will i use a extra butt as telescope and what will u measure on butt before put 7' med/light into butt to make a telescope that will mark to 7'11" i still trying to figure out how it work
for butt from rear to rear of reel seat going to be about 10 1/2" i think of use a minima reel seat most telescope i have see is at least 24" to 26" longer but i couldnt figure out trying to add a 7 ft into blank tube to telescope to 7'11" any idea
Josh

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2010 10:13PM

Josh,
If you want, simply make it a permenant grip.
A typical handle length - back grip, reel seat and fore grip will be about 16 inches.

If so, you can use a 16 inch piece of rod section, and plan to put all of the handle on the extension.
Since you want to extend the grip 11 inches - size the extension so that you get a nice tight fit on the extension into the main blank at 5 inches.
5 inches is plenty of overlap for good blank strength etc.

Simply glue the extension in place, glue up your handle, tie on your guides and finish as usual.

I would not probably make this a telecsopic rod. I would make it a permenant one piece rod.

--
You can make it telescopic rod if you want, but if you do that, I would also take the precaution of adding another 6 or 8 inch piece of blank on the inside butt section of the original blank. This will stiffen the blank enough to take the rigors of a telescopic butt section.

But, again, very simple to do, just put all of the handle and related functions on the extension. Then, make sure that you don't put anything right in front of the handle that would keep the main blank from retracting into the handle.

--
p.s.

One thing that is very important is to match the taper of the extension to the main blank. The idea is that you want a long distance i.e. 5 inches or so - to allow the main blank to clamp tightly to the butt section.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster