I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Lets see some blanks...
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: January 28, 2010 01:10PM

I was doing some reading and came across this - makes sense with something mentioned very vaguely in an earlier post:

The product is the new 3M Matrix Resin 3831 [solutions.3m.com] - Pretty cool stats:
"3M has conducted extensive testing of its new resin compared to standard epoxy resin technology. The tests showed the following results:

76% improvement in shear modulus;
73% improvement in toughness; and
68% improvement in Barcol hardness"

(source: [www.reinforcedplastics.com])

The marketing stuff from 3M says it's designed to "Helps improve performance of sporting goods, industrial and marine components"

Pair that stuff up with some of the newer carbon fibers out like the stuff from Toray.... might have a mind blower, or something really surpassing what we are used to!

Let's see some blanks guys... they are out there... they have been made... follow the "Recent testimonial" link on the 3M page (its on the right) to see what a walleye fisherman has to say (sorry the way this forum posts links, it's breaking the link)

-----------------
AD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lets see some blanks...
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 28, 2010 01:53PM

Not every fiber or resin system is suitable for making rod blanks. The top makers here in the U.S. are all working with the state of the art in materials and resins today. It's not like this is news to them.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 02:52PM

Some thing to think about : how much technology can you put into a - graphite tube ??? Be care full of the hipe.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 28, 2010 03:06PM

It's not hype - but the companies making the prepeg and the guys making the blanks are well aware of what's available. This isn't a revelation to them.

Posted by: Jon Bial (209.34.156.---)
Date: January 28, 2010 03:26PM

Shhhhh!

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2010 03:43PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's not hype - but the companies making the
> prepeg and the guys making the blanks are well
> aware of what's available. This isn't a revelation
> to them.
>
> ..........
I'm sure many people are aware, but the final product isn't out there yet. We don't have rods or blanks available commercially yet.

Thanks to Alex for posting the info on what looks like some very promising technology. Sounds like this stuff could almost eliminate the breakage issues common to bass fishermen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2010 03:47PM by Robert Russell.

Date: January 28, 2010 03:52PM

It's already in use. It will not eliminate breakage issues.

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: January 28, 2010 04:00PM

I would have to believe that 3M has already shopped this around to the people who make carbon fiber prepegs and rod blanks.

I would like to know why it would eliminate breakage issues. What fails when a rod breaks? The resin system?

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: January 28, 2010 04:37PM

This is interesting... I would expect many builders to express interest in something that might improve rod blanks - at least try to find out about it and talk about it... not push it under the carpet as another resin system or hype (BB - when was it hyped?)

Tom - what happened to the post you made a while back (I know Emory responded asking questions and there weren't many posts on the thread) about the new carbon fiber/prepeg... I can't seem to find the post. Seems to me that post had some information about higher tensile strength, etc... could you link? I can't seem to find it searching by all your posts. Maybe it was more than 90 days ago?

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2010 05:14PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's already in use. It will not eliminate
> breakage issues.
>
> ............
That's not at all what I have heard.

Date: January 28, 2010 05:46PM

Alex,

I'm not at liberty to discuss that, yet.

Thermo-setting resin systems have been in use for a good long while now. They continue to evolve and improve and the companies that supply prepeg to the various manufacturers attempt to match the best systems for the use of their clients. There is nothing necessarily earth shattering nor revolutionary about the 3M product. It's not hype, but it's not any sort of breakthrough.

Peter is correct, the fiber suppliers, prepeg manufacturers and blank makers are all aware of this and other modern resin systems.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 28, 2010 06:02PM

Did you notice what Jon Bial said,,,,,,Shhhhh ! Which equates to ,,,,,,,,we are looking at it . LOL

Alex; I didn't find any mention of the material being lighter in weight that what's presently being used.
If there is a new innovation out there ,,, 3-M will develop it.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: January 28, 2010 06:05PM

So are you saying the post you put up was deleted? Because I know I read about it.

I have no doubt they have known - 3M isn't doing their job (or any other resin company) if they don't have it in a potential buyer's hands first. I wager a majority of readers here didn't know about it, so it's news for us and great to know new things are being invented. Just good to know things are constantly being revised and developed - and not just the same old graphite tube.

Just like the new banano silica reinforced super cloth that's being worked on. (Just being funny and hyping the name - not serious) - but good to know something out of this world is being developed. We can only hope it's a significant improvement and not something to just say "eh" about.

-----------------
AD

Date: January 28, 2010 06:18PM

No, it was not deleted but I didn't go into any specifics then either. I really can't do it - they asked me not to. Sorry. But it won't be long in coming.

Date: January 28, 2010 06:41PM

No problem - I just couldn't find it to look over what it said (after the 3M stuff I wanted to reread). Not the first time I couldn't find something!

Be nice if there was something around Feb 20th or so... (smile)

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.140.184.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 07:06PM

Here's the topic you are looking for.

[rodbuilding.org]

Date: January 28, 2010 08:56PM

Thx Bobby - forgot it was inside another post - that would be why I missed it.

-----------------
AD

Date: January 28, 2010 09:07PM

JB - Interesting point - I'd be more than willing to bet most of the US (at least) blank manfs have seen it.

Your point on weight is good. Question - if it's stronger, could you then create a lighter rod using less fiber and resin while having the same strength? Say having the resin content at 30% instead of 40% of the finished blank composition since the resin is stronger? Or even going to a much thinner wall design and having less of each material?

I find it interesting and the bottom line to me is possibly a huge opportunity to see some change in sticks. Something worth watching - and according to this... it's coming.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: January 28, 2010 10:16PM

Does rod strength come from the resin? Why would this or any other resin allow you to use thinner walls and obtain the same strength or durability? What does resin have to do with those aspects? I would have to question if the total make up of any graphite rod would be as much as 30% resin. I thought most of the resin was squeezed out during the shrink wrap oven cure?

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 28, 2010 10:16PM

From the numbers on Shear Modulus , Toughness and Hardness It would appear they could cut back on volume of Resin and make a thinner wall thus lighter blank than we have today.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster