I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Line Slap
Posted by: Andrew Grant (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 12:29PM

I have built several spinning rods following the primer from this page, and both have line slap when reeling when reeling in slack line. They are fine when the line is taught and on the cast. One rod is a 7' medium light rod with a 25 CYAG as the stripper using 8 lb fluorcarbon on a Daiwa 2500 Advantage, and the other is an 8' heavy rod with a 30 BSVLG using 15 Big Game on an Abu C806. On the light rod, the stripper is 20" from the reel face and on the heavy rod it is 27". Is this normal, or do I need to go to a larger stripper guide or move it further from the reel? I know switching to braid would solve this problem, but is there anything else I can do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Line Slap
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 12:39PM

I think if you move the guide further from the reel, the line slap on retrieve would be worse. That would give more room for the line to bellow out as you retrieve. I would think shortening the distance to the reel would make the line slap less or go away. But then you need to make sure things are still good on the cast. I am not sure you can have it both ways or not. I know using some of the guidelines for spinning rods to determine the size of the first guide based on the spool size, but you might also have to go smaller to not allow the line to bellow out as far on the retrieve.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 28, 2010 12:48PM

Line which has no tension on it is going to slap or touch the rod between the reel and the butt guide. Just about anything you do to reign that sort of thing in will ultimately hurt you on casting and retrieving.

Since most casts are retrieved with either a fish or the tension of the lure or bait on the end, reeling in slack line shouldn't be a common occurance. It's not really anything to worry about and it harms nothing.

A smaller ring in a higher frame may help (may help casting too) so if you do anything that's the direction I'd go.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 04:24PM

I've seen the same thing before Andrew and most of the time moving the butt guide CLOSER to the reel even 1" may take care of most of it, if not all. I'd toy with it a little, but like said I wouldn't make it a huge issue you're trying to completely cure.

DR

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2010 02:26AM

Andrew,
As several of the other posts suggest, I think that line slap on a slack line is a don't care condition.
What difference does it make to anything to have line slap when the line is slack.

When ever I get into this situation, such that the line has a lot of billow due to wind, drift or some other condition, I just routinely, grab the line in front of the reel, while holding the blank in front of the reel, and reel in the slack. I hold the line, to keep tension on the line so that the line lays nicely on the reel of the spinning reel.

When the line gets taunt, I resume my normal hand positon, and continue to reel in line in a way that is consistent for the type fishing that I am doing.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster