I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Measuring rod bond
Posted by: Ron Asker (---.lew.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 12:53AM

How do you do it?

I have never had an issue with rod bond not curing properly but wondering if there are more precise methods than what I do. I use one craft stick for each part and try to get about the same amount of each then place each part on opposite sides of mixing cup then add a bit to one or the other part until it LOOKS like equal amounts of both. I also save the unused portion in the cup to make sure it cures properly because that method provides for error and I never feel assured that I got it right until I see the evidence after the fact. Just wondering if there are more precise methods. Maybe rod bond has enough margin for error that reasonably equal portions are good enough?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Measuring rod bond
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 01:38AM

Stainless steel or plastic measuring spoons.

Posted by: Ian Scott (Moderator)
Date: January 28, 2010 03:30AM

I've always measured the two parts of Rod Bond by eye.

I've got rods I built almost 20 years ago, and the Rod Bond continues to hold strong.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 07:24AM

Rod Bond is not like mixing a rod finish epoxy, as long as you are close it is going to cure without any problems.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 28, 2010 07:40AM

RodBond was designed by a rod builder and was intended for approximate mixing portions. Always try to get the two portions as close in size as possible, but realize that even a 60/40 mix ration will still set and cure just fine. The designer understood the problems associated with trying to easily measure a gel or paste and formulated it so that a slightly uneven mix wouldn't present any problems.

Posted by: Lou Wasmund (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 09:42AM

I just scoop it out with popsicle sticks and eyeball it

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 10:31AM

I'm with Lou 100%

DR

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 28, 2010 11:18AM

I'm with Lou also.
I mix it on a 4"x4" post-it note pad instead of a cup. Much easier to measure and mix. When it dries, remove that sheet and trash it.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 11:34AM

Ron,
Actually a syringe works very well for measuring rod bond.
I use large syringes - about 1 inch in diameter.

For thinner epoxy - I cut the tips off the epoxy and then drill about a 3/16th hole in the bottom of the syringe to allow epoxy entrance.

For the thicker or gel epoxies, I drill a larger hole in the bottom of the syringe - about 1/2 inch.
The larger hole easily allows the thicker epoxy to be sucked into the syringe for easy measurement and use.

If the syringe is not marked, simply place equal marks on both syringes, so that you get an equal mix. I use sharpie markers to mark the syringe and then cover th marks with clear shipping tape to keep the marks from being rubbed off when the syringes are wiped clean of epoxy.

There is no need to clean the syringes since they will not cure if there is non off the other epoxy component in the syringe.

I make a syringe stand, using a piece of pvc pipe that is large enough to hold the syringe upright. I simply take a pvc cap of the correct size - drill a hole in the pvc cap and screw it to a board. Then, I place the pvc tube in the cap and you have a pair of holders. I mark the pvc pipes with the appropriate a or b so that any possible contamination of epoxy that might be on the inside of the pvc pipe is always the same and doesn't run the risk of getting hard.

Very exact measurements and virtually no waste.

I put just enough of the syringe into the epoxy so that you don't have much - if any epoxy to clean off the outside of the syringe.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Ron Asker (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: January 28, 2010 01:22PM

Thanks. I kind of figured there was a decent margin of error built into the product since I've never had issues with it.

Roger, I actually thought about using a couple of those syringes that are used for injecting marinades into turkeys and such. They would be strong enough to suck up the material and they have a big enough hole in the needle to prevent clogging.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 28, 2010 01:49PM

Roger

Good idea.

Kerry

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 10:36PM

Ron,
Don't spend the money for turkey syringes.
For one thing, the needle is typically too small, as is the hole in the end of the syringe.

Rather, use the large diameter plastic ones of which I spoke, cut off the tip and drill as large a hole as is necessary in the end of the syringe to handle the thickness of the epoxy that is being used.

i.e. thin epoxy, small hole.
Thick epoxy - large or very very very large hole.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Ron Asker (---.lew.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: January 29, 2010 02:48PM

Thanks again Roger,

I think I was confused by your statement "I cut the tips off the epoxy". But I re-read and get what you're saying now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster