I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

flyrod length
Posted by: Terry Goode (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 27, 2010 08:09PM

for you guys that make flyrods, whats the normal flyrod length or average length and the same question with the weight ?
and thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flyrod length
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 27, 2010 09:14PM

Depends on what you plan to do with the rod. The length needed for lifting large, powerful fish is not going to be the same length needed for making long casts to spooky fish in shallow, clear water even if the line weight is the same.

Your question is extremely vague and I think you might want to research fly fishing in general just a bit more before you get too deep in this thing about average weight or length - there really is no such thing.

Scientific Anglers 3M used to publish a series of yearly magazines called "Fly Fishing Made Easy." See if you can find a copy and spend an evening going over it. It will answer a lot of the questions you no doubt have at this point in time.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 27, 2010 09:43PM

Terry,
If you are considering fresh water:
a small stream trout rod will be 6'6" to 7'6" and 0-3wt

If you are considering steelhead fishing in rivers the rod will be 9' (on the short side) - to 10' (on the long side) for single handed rods. Weights from 7-9wt

In fresh water rivers for steelhead - two-handed rods - 11' to 15' in 5wt 9wt.

In salt water surf or big water in boat - 9-9'6' - 9-10wt

In back bays 9' - 6wt-9wt.

Then there is freshwater bass fishing, musky fishing

It just goes on and on.
I took the long way to say the same thing as Tom.
Herb

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 27, 2010 09:45PM

Tom, is correct, your question needs clarification.

Answers to these questions:

What species will you be fishing for?
In what type of waters?
How big will the fish be?

There is no such thing as an "average" fly rod.

Posted by: Harold Dean (---.client.eng.telusmobility.com)
Date: January 27, 2010 09:46PM

Tom is right. Without knowing what your targetting and where, it's difficult to give advise on the rod needed. There are a number of different rod lengths and weights for a good reason. If you can be more specific with your targetted species, and where you will be doing most of your fishing ie lakes, rivers, streams, ocean we will be in a better position to give you positive advice.

cheers
Harold

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: January 27, 2010 09:48PM

Terry...

Another good read to add onto Tom's is FLYFISING FOR DUMMIES. You know, it's those yelow and black books-I used to recommend the book to all of my flyfishing school students. Very cut to the chase book with excellent explanations and diagrams.

There is no "normal" lenght or weight of a fly rod. Its about matching the right tool (rod length and weight) for the right fishing application. Application can and will cover the following varibles: river or stream, fast, slow or deep; lake; type of fish; type and size of flies used; fly casting skill level; and sometimes wind conditions normally encountered.

There are a few more, but I think that will get you going in the right direction.

And most of all, just like guns....you can never have too many!

GOod luck!
Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2010 09:49PM by Paul Rotkis.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2010 10:16PM

Terry,
Knowing nothing about species, size, type of water, room for backcast, etc. etc. etc, I will strongly recommend an 8' 6" 6wt. If I could only have one fly rod for every species of fish that I normally target (small trout through big pike) and in every type of water in which these fish can be found (overgrown little streams to big, wide open reservoirs), it would be this rod. I think of it as the "Perfect Compromise". On the other hand, it sure is fun to build alot of different rods; so I have yet to build the PC rod...
George

Date: January 27, 2010 10:50PM

ya know i have never been real good at getting my point across .

i am looking for averages in the fact that 1 rod maker make's 10 fly rods 6 will be 10ft, 3 will be 12ft, and 1 that is 9ft so to me your average would be 6 rod at 10 ft.

i know that there are 10 times more fresh water fly rods that are made small streams than salt water big fish fly rods and i also know that there hast to be a rod for almost each type of fish in all the waters .

i know that you as a rod maker and that when you make say 20 flyrods not all will be the same but you will have an average some where in that group of 20 .

does that clear it up some what , if not dont worry about it then and thanks for the recommendations about the books .

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 27, 2010 11:30PM

Living in Northern California where much of our fishing is for trout in the Sierra streams and rivers, the most common rod I build for customers is a 9 ft 4 or 5 wt. But having said that, this past 2 months I built 5 6' 6" 4pc 2wt's, and I am working on a 10' 8" 8wt 4pc switch rod. Go figure!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2010 11:32PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2010 11:34PM

I hate to further convolute Terry's question, but I'd bet good money that one particular length of rod that is most likely in the hands of most flyfisher's is 9 feet in length. I personally own 6 flyrods that are 9 feet in length. The remaining number of flyrods that I own that are not 9 feet in length are 5. The weight is another thing all together, but I own a few rods that are ideally suited for 5 weight AFTMA floating lines(all 9 footers), a couple that are ideal for 4 weight AFTMA floating lines(one nine footer-my favorite), and the rest are comprised of ideally handling line weights from 2 to 11(of which 2 are 9 footers).

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: January 28, 2010 03:41AM

I have at least 4 friends who own fly shops and to a man they say that the most commonly purchased fly rod size is 9' 5wt.
STANDARD DISCLAIMER: This is entirely un-scientific, and applies only to NorthernCalifornia. :-)

Walt

Date: January 28, 2010 07:32AM

If you're going to try and figure an average length or line weight from the avaiable models on the market, you're going to come up with a rod that is not very good at anything. Like any other type fishing, you need to target the fish and water you intend to use the rod for.

Date: January 28, 2010 08:18AM

thanks Phil, Torin, Walt.

Tom, i am not targeting any specific fish or area nor rod, i simply asked a generic question on fly rods and averages lengths .

Date: January 28, 2010 08:53AM

I'm afraid there is no such thing. Your average above of 6'10" is indeed an average, but almost nobody fishes with a rod of that length outside of a few small stream guys who might fish 6' or 7' light line rods.

In order to have a true average, or the most popular length sold, you'd need more than just the available lengths - you'd have to know how many of each length is sold.

Posted by: John Krukemeier (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 11:59AM

Not exactly the answer to your question, but I've heard that a 9 foot, 5 weight, 4 piece is the most popular fly rod.

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: January 28, 2010 10:17PM

I have about the same thing, but in my memory it was the same thing in a #6 weight rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster