I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

gudedrod metallic thread issues
Posted by: Bill Jovanovski (---.bfcz1.lon.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 23, 2010 05:35PM

Anyone else have issues with Gudebrod metallic thread pealing off as you do a pull through when finishing off.. I dont like using this stuff.Its really crap.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: gudedrod metallic thread issues
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 23, 2010 05:43PM

Depending on how much tension you use and how many strands you pull under, this can and does often happen with any brand of metallic thread. All the metallics are two-part threads with a nylon core and mylar outer covering. You can't treat it like regular one-part nylon thread.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 23, 2010 05:48PM

The Sulky metallics I think aren't quite as bad, seems to be embedded a bit better through the thread, but the thread size is a bit smaller.

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: January 23, 2010 06:00PM

Don't know what the problem you're having but it is not the threads fault, I've used this thread on hundreds of rods and not as trim but as primary wraps. It is not crap but there is a learning curve in using it, yes it will separate if you use too much tension but that does not make it crap. You have to learn how to use it and it will be fine. Sulkey is a bit more foregiving and I use it also.

Posted by: Jon Gold (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 23, 2010 06:11PM

Bill:
Sounds like your statement is more out of frustration than anything else.
I use their metallic electra thread on probably 50% of the rods that I build, I love the way it shimmers out on the boat in the sunlight.
I do just five wraps before I pull the tag through & I make them just a tad looser than the main body of wraps.
I would say that 75% of the time it pulls through just fine. The other 25% the outer sheath does separate from the core.
No big deal, pick out the loose outer sheath (which sometimes is left stuck under the wraps), grab the core strands, pull up and out towards the end of your wrap,
trim with a razor blade, what doesn't disappear under your wrap (sometimes it doesn't all suck under) can be gently burned with a flame and rubbed under with your burnishing tool.
Try it again with a little technique modification, the way the thread looks out in the sun is worth it.
Jon

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2010 07:21PM

Hi Bill,
Try trimming your tag end to 1/2 to 3/4" before pulling through. A smaller tag causes less twisting when pulled through. It is the twisting that is causing the thread to unravel.
george

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2010 07:28PM

Bill,

I've felt your frustration as well. I learned to use the metallics as an introduced alternating band - only (meaning it's wound in between my nylon wraps for a very short area of my wraps). I've also learned to twist the metallic thread prior to pull through in such a fashion as to tighten the foil "spirals" around the center floss-like core. You could also consider using wire - like the kind available for fly tying. It looks pretty good, but takes a whole new tecnique that I've yet to master.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 23, 2010 09:47PM

Just cut the tag end to about 1/8", or just short enough so it won't pull out between the thread wraps with your pull through.

Posted by: dave anderson (208.181.51.---)
Date: January 24, 2010 01:09AM

yep - it happens lots until I coated it with Lypsyl a product for chapped lips. Slides through with eeze no peeling. I also change up to a fluorocarbon line as a pull through instead of a braided or twist material. Hard to see and work with but ended the headaches. I found a tiny speck of crazy glue on the starter tag end to hold the thread, wind four wraps, bring the tag end through, snip with scissors, fray the end, singe with heat from the side of the flame of a Bic lighter.

Posted by: Bill Jovanovski (---.bfcz1.lon.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 24, 2010 06:48AM

Thanks for the reply guys,

Yes, it's frustrations and the rest in experience on my part. I'll try shortening the tag end and other tips provided.

Thank you so much. I was beginning to tear my hair out.

Cheers.

Posted by: Joe Sullivan (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2010 09:28AM

I usually just pull it part way through, snip most of the remaining length outside the wrap off with scissors and then pull the tag all the way through. The metallic skin usually remains at the pull through point and I simply pinch it between thumb and finger and pull it right off(toward the outside of the wrap). Confusing explanation, sorry.....lol.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster