I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Thread tension problems
Posted by: Ron Johnson (---.gfnet.com)
Date: January 19, 2010 09:12AM

For those of you that use the spring/wing nut design for thread tension, what did you do to keep the turning spool from tightening (or loosening) your tension? I have washers above and below the spring, but it doesn't seem to help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread tension problems
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2010 09:22AM

The newer models have flat spots on the threaded rod and the washer has an oval hole so it won't turn. You can duplicate this by filing a flat spot on your threaded rod and enlarging a hole on a smaller washer with a flat spot to match. Use a nylon washer to make for easier forming.

The other methods are to just put a small piece of tape and tighten the wing nut over that. The resistance is much higher so it won't turn when the spool does.

Both these work pretty well.

Terry

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.sierrasystems.com)
Date: January 19, 2010 09:24AM

I use two washers made from windshield washer fluid bottle, and use a wing nut in addition to the tension knob. see
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: January 19, 2010 09:29AM

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: January 19, 2010 09:38AM

Heard it sometime somewhere on this site: simpilest way is to turn the spool so the thread comes off the spool to tend to tighten the nut. I tried it & it works great.
Bill

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.wpa3.kent.edu)
Date: January 19, 2010 10:06AM

I use two hex nuts. Use the first to set the tension on the spool. Then snug the second one up to the back of the first. It works for me.

Joe

Date: January 19, 2010 10:10AM

Thanks for the info. I tried the search, but never had that one hit. I kind of like the collar and thumb screw idea...I may even have that stuff laying around the garage.

Bill, problem with turning the spool is that it will get too tight and break the thread.

Date: January 19, 2010 10:26AM

Ron, I d0 have a plastic/nylon washer\ on each end of the spool. Lots of ways to skin that cat. A nylock nut ?
Bill

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 19, 2010 11:04AM

I use screw head covers (79 cents a pair at hardware store) and sandwhich the spring between them,. I use large office paper clips for quick tension change

For me it's ideal. Very quick, inexpensive and have NEVER had the tension change on me. Check pix [www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: January 19, 2010 11:14AM

I like the looks of that Mike. Thanks.

Date: January 19, 2010 12:00PM

As is usual, Mike has a great way to do it better & cheaper. Mike, as a new builder, your seminar at last years EXPO was worth all the cost of the trip from Arkansas by itself.
Bill

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 19, 2010 12:36PM

Mike B has the right idea ! I have been using his paper clip since he first showed us. Works great for me.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Andrew Grant (---.shawgrp.com)
Date: January 19, 2010 02:24PM

Where do you guys buy those springs? I have been using a peice of rubber tubing on the bolt with a nylon locknut which doesn't turn, but the tubing gives me inconsistent tension because its folds over itself.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2010 03:09PM

Any office supply outlet will have them

Posted by: Andrew Grant (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: January 19, 2010 03:21PM

I am referring to the round springs that go on the bolt, do office supply stores have those as well? I have some of the black clips, and I will try them instead of the lock nut, but I am looking to switch out my piece of rubber tubing for the round spring on the bolt.

Posted by: Doug Cox (74.206.84.---)
Date: January 19, 2010 03:24PM

Replace your plastic or nylon washers with teflon washers---also make sure the metal washers do not have any burrs or rough spots on them. A good source for springs are the ones used in faucets.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 19, 2010 04:18PM

You should be able to find springs at any hardware store. Ours has them in flip top boxes, 15 or so trays with all different sizes, strengths and shapes.

Posted by: Andy Jones (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 19, 2010 07:02PM

You can get a regular nut and put it next to the spring. Set your tension with the nut, hold it with your fingers and snug the wing nut up to it. It will not slip on you.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 20, 2010 01:23AM

Niether will the paper clip clamp and it's a lot quicker/easier to adjust

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Andrew Grant (---.shawgrp.com)
Date: January 20, 2010 08:13AM

Thanks guys, I must have missed them when I bought the materials to make my wrapper.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster