I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1st finish coat.
Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2010 12:57PM

So far I've been using light build U-40 and light Flex coat for my flyrods. My question is how heavy should the first coat be applied? Should it be done as if it were the final coat, or can it be more of a base coat (ie. not worry so much about brush marks and unevenness? I've been trying to do the first as if it were the last, and am just wondering if I really need to be that carefull, or would i be just as well applying it very thin and then giving more focus on the final coat ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1st finish coat.
Posted by: Matt Davis (64.118.9.---)
Date: January 09, 2010 01:55PM

Personally...I just like to put a thin first coat down. And I do it fairly quickly. Just enough finish that the threads are fully saturated and not sticking thru. Any little fuzzies or air bubbles can get trimmed up between the 1st and 2nd coat. The 2nd coat is for the final look and build.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2010 04:46PM

Larry,
I ordinarily never use more than one coat of regular flex coat. When done correctly, this is all that is needed. It fills very nicely and leaves a level smooth finish.
If you have the bad luck to have some thread knobbies sticking up, you will have to put down a 2nd coat after trimming or sanding off any nubbies that might have popped up.
However, if you have good thread and good wrapping techniques, the 2nd coat is normally not needed, if you are using the high build finish.

With the flex coat light - you will almost always have to put down a 2nd coat. If you do use the flex coat light - put down enough to get complete surface coverage on the non thread parts of the blank, as well as complete thread saturation.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2010 04:59PM

By thread saturation do you mean it is ok to see the thread lines through the finish? Maybe just a hair more than CP? In other words I dont need a smooth finish on the first coat? Both finishes I have worked with are light build.

Posted by: Matt Davis (64.118.9.---)
Date: January 09, 2010 06:35PM

My 1st coat often shows "ridges" of the thread. My goal is to just get past that point. But...it really doesn't matter that much. Mostly, I'm just looking to remove as much air as possible and firm up any nubs of thread I may have. Once the first coat is set, its easily shaved with a razor blade.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.242.22.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 09, 2010 06:46PM

I just want to get the thread covered with the first coat. I spend a little more time on the second coat, making sure I get good coverage and a nice finished look.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster