I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

split reel seat spacing?
Posted by: Walker_Nelson (69.198.19.---)
Date: January 06, 2010 02:06PM

Im building my first rod with a minima reel seat (Pac Bay)
My question is (since I dont have any experience with these seats) whats a good distance between the trigger and threads?
I know it mainly depends on the reel's foot size,so I guess my real question should be...Is there a certain amount of thread the reel foot should rest on?..Right now I have the trigger glued up and I mocked up the thread/hood so the reel's foot rest on about two threads while its tight.....Seems sturdy,but I want a second opinion.
.I looked at a Cumara at the BPS....My measurements seem almost dead on with that manu rod....But I wanted other opinions from people who build with them..

Why do they make the hood/thread in only one size?...Kind of a p.i.t.a!..haha

Thanks
Walker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2010 02:34PM by Walker_Nelson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: split reel spacing?
Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: January 06, 2010 02:37PM

I cut that threading down to the same size as the hood and make sure you measure twice and glue once.

Date: January 06, 2010 02:40PM

Andrew Metzger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I cut that threading down to the same size as the
> hood and make sure you measure twice and glue
> once.

Ok I plan on doing that as well....Im talking about distance between the two pieces (trigger & threads)
Does the actual reel foot need to rest on the first few threads for support?
Am I making sense?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2010 02:51PM by Walker_Nelson.

Date: January 06, 2010 02:55PM

Sure does, otherwise the foot is going to fall out and slide out the side of the seat.

Date: January 06, 2010 03:00PM

Andrew Metzger Wrote:
> Sure does, otherwise the foot is going to fall out
> and slide out the side of the seat.

Thanks...About how much you think...1/2'' thread support for the foot? More?
sorry for all the questions.
Im trying to get it glue'd up tonight so I can get started on the decorative wrapping.

Re: split reel seat spacing?
Date: January 06, 2010 03:05PM

I set my threaded barrel on the rod with the reel I was going to use. Glued on the rear portion, then I cut and prepped the front threaded portion, the threaded portion fit the hood and nut that screws down. I then slid it in place while holding the reel in the seat. with the threaded portion and the hood squared up, I marked the blank where the threaded portion fit the reel foot with the hood and nut squared up . I hope how I explained that came out clear.

Date: January 06, 2010 03:28PM

Andrew Metzger Wrote:
> I set my threaded barrel on the rod with the reel
> I was going to use. Glued on the rear portion,
> then I cut and prepped the front threaded portion,
> the threaded portion fit the hood and nut that
> screws down. I then slid it in place while
> holding the reel in the seat. with the threaded
> portion and the hood squared up, I marked the
> blank where the threaded portion fit the reel foot
> with the hood and nut squared up . I hope how I
> explained that came out clear.

I think I got it man,much appreciated,thank you
Walker

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: January 06, 2010 03:47PM

I go a step farther and always use a reel when gluing up a split reel seat. Screw the hood down to where you want it to be with the reel installed and then once you glue the barrel in place use a cork clamp to snug everything down. This way you can’t go wrong and the hoods are guaranteed to line up perfect.

I usually leave about 1/8 inch either way extra threads to accommodate different reels, low profile baitcasting reels are pretty consistent, but be careful with spinning reels they can vary a lot more.

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: January 06, 2010 07:03PM

If you are building to sell, you may want to go measure different reel feet. Set the seat accordingly to fit several. Most have about the same. However, make sure you have a bit of room like Mike said.
For mine, I build it for a Currado, plus 1/4 inch. For a Customer, ask for his reel, add 1/4 inch. Make sure the thread takes the full nut plus some of the hood! Otherwise you will have problems setting the seat up properly.
I think Andrew and Mike are right on!

Kyle Robinson

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster