I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Topless Mermaid Decals?
Posted by: brian neff (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 05, 2010 12:39PM

I've seen a particular topless mermaid decal that I HAVE to have on my next personal rod, but can't find them anywhere. I've seen the ones at Mudhole, but they're a little different.

The money decals are pictured (but not for sale) here: [www.classiccustomrod.com]

Any ideas?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2010 12:39PM by brian neff.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Topless Mermaid Decals?
Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 05, 2010 12:49PM

Hows this

[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 05, 2010 01:03PM

Blondes, Brunettes & Redheads in all their glory right here ---> []

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: brian neff (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 05, 2010 02:10PM

Mudhole... Close, very close
@#$%&... Closer...

Either will work, both have their, um, unique character. But they're not exactly what I was after.

Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: January 05, 2010 02:12PM

Versitex one of this sites sponsors carries the exact mermaid decals that you want. They are listed under the Bill Mar Decals. I really liked them to so I just copied the image and made my own decals.
James

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: January 05, 2010 02:56PM

The ones you posted a link to are the same as the Bill Mar from Versitex and Mudhole...

-----------------
AD

Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: January 05, 2010 07:00PM

Alex, the decals that he posted the link to are not the same ones that Mudhole offers. The ones he is looking for look more realistic wheras the ones mudhole carries look a little more cartoonish. I have both versions.
James

Posted by: Tim Robinson (---.ezsb2.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 05, 2010 07:28PM

Ok i'm done!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2010 08:28PM by Tim Robinson.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: January 05, 2010 08:04PM

Guys, please remember this is a family friendly site.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: January 05, 2010 09:46PM

James - I see what you are saying... I put two on rods last week that I got from the Mudhole booth at the rod show in Feb and they are identical to the ones he listed originally. Glad you brought that to my attention.. I wouldn't have been happy if I reordered!

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 06, 2010 12:50AM

Isn't copying some ones art work akin to theft?

Posted by: Dave Fontaine (136.244.213.---)
Date: January 06, 2010 10:17AM

Brian, from what I was told, the ones posted in your original post's link are still available, but now have a bikini/bra top covering now, which is not what some customers want. Your best best is to search around to see who has those.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2010 10:25AM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Isn't copying some ones art work akin to theft?

I thought so too.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 06, 2010 11:00AM

IMO, Coping them is literally stealing from the vendor and is illegal and certainly shouldn't be posted on a form that the vendors support!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: January 06, 2010 12:01PM

Whats the difference in a google image and a picture of the mermaid... nothing. Doesn't matter if it is a vendor or not.

It's copyrighted. It's someone else's work and they own the rights to it.

[rodbuilding.org]

-----------------
AD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2010 12:02PM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 06, 2010 12:03PM

I believe jimi (then with decal connection) mentioned some time ago that the topless ones were being discontinued the first were done by Bill Wiston and later decal connection
John

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2010 01:34PM

This is a tough one. I often peruse tattoo art websites to download pics in .gif or .jpg format and then alter them slightly using a MS Paint to create a pattern for weaving. I do this so that I have something "different" from what is currently widely available on weave software. If it's been done before, I generally have less interest in repeating it. But these very tattoo sites are created for "sharing" their art with other tattoo artists. The artist still has to transfer the immage onto the "canvas". I can see not using someones specific "logo", but then again if you credit the creation of the logo to the originator, they may be quite flattered. Then again maybe not.

It doesn't take much "altering" to deviate from a copywrited image. Stretching, condensing, or rotating to a degree is often enough to create a "unique enough" image, but you may want to change something more along the lines of color or image anatomy - just to be on the safe side. I have also come across MANY topless mermaids on these tattoo art sites. Perhaps you could copy the pic, scale it down and print it onto decal media?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster