I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Abalone guide inlay
Posted by: Grant Gisondo (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2010 08:20PM

I'm going to be doing an abalone inlay on a 9 wt fly rod in between the feet of the stripper and snake guides. Should I put a coat of finish on the abalone inlay than wrap the guides? Or just stick the inlay on (it has an adhesive backing) wrap the guides and finish it all together at the end? Looking for remmendations. Thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Abalone guide inlay
Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 02, 2010 09:04PM

I would NOT put finish on the abalone before applying it to the rod.
The latest issue of RodMaker has complete instructions for doing abalone. Or you can go to Mudhole and look at their online video instructions (they are different than the instructions in RodMaker).

Posted by: Grant Gisondo (166.137.11.---)
Date: January 02, 2010 09:53PM

I dint mean put finish on it than put it on the rod.I meant should I put the abalone on the rod,put finish over it than wrap the guides. Or stick the abalone on, wrap the guides than finish the guide wraps and the abalone together.I felt it might be hard to get a good finish over the abalone if it's inbetween the foot of the snake guides.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: January 02, 2010 09:55PM

Grant,
If you applythe abalone, do so and put the thread over top of it after application. Just leave it on there and wrap the rest of the rod. After all is wrapped, remove the thread and apply your finish all at once. If you need abalone, let me know, I would love to help you out. My sheets are 5 1/4" x 9". Also, get the latest issue of Rodmaker, it has the entire process all laid out for you.

Kevin

Date: January 02, 2010 09:56PM

You won't need the additional coat. The adhesive is the same stuff that they use to put windshield mirrors on cars. Once its on, its on!!

Kevin

Date: January 02, 2010 09:56PM

You won't need the additional coat. The adhesive is the same stuff that they use to put windshield mirrors on cars. Once its on, its on!!

Kevin

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2010 11:01PM

if you are using a Heat Gun be VERY Careful, Too much heat can and will Damage the Blank Especially with a relatively thin Fly Rod blank

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2010 11:04PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: January 03, 2010 02:35AM

How small of a blank is it practical to use abalone on? Will it conform say to an ultralite class freshwater blank with butt diameter @0.300" or so?

Date: January 03, 2010 08:10AM

My rule of thumb here is that I can go as small as needed, but I will see cracks on anything smaller than a pencil. If I am going to pencil diameter or smaller, I just boil and soak it a bit longer.

Don't forget guys, I have the veneer in stock and available to all!!

www.anglersenvy.com/veneer-gallery

Kevin

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.gdrpmi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 03, 2010 10:02AM

Grant,

I have to give credit to Mike Barkley for this idea. If you have an inlay already it is possible to scan it into your computer then print it on decal paper. It will be much thinner and easier to wrap around the small diameter of a fly blank.

Vic

Posted by: Grant Gisondo (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2010 12:11PM

vic,

thats a great idea. unforuntaly i dont have a scanner to it that. plus i assume it would lose alot of its luster. not sure. any ideas of how i can get finish inbetween the feet of snake guides were the balnk is really thin? super small brush maybe?

thanks,

grant

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 03, 2010 01:23PM

The printed versions look very good, but they don't have the sparkle of the real thing. You can print on the holoshine decal paper, but then you almost have too much sparkle and color in places where there shouldn't be any.

I small round tip brush will allow you to get finish in-between the legs of a snake guide. Start at the tip so the finish will be as thin as possible and aid you on those smallest guides.

Date: January 03, 2010 02:12PM

Grant Gisondo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> vic,
>
> thats a great idea. unforuntaly i dont have a
> scanner to it that. plus i assume it would lose
> alot of its luster. not sure. any ideas of how i
> can get finish inbetween the feet of snake guides
> were the balnk is really thin? super small brush
> maybe?
>
> thanks,
>
> grant

Grant,
A small brush and take your time. If it were me, I would put the abalone as a trim ring at the bottom of each wrap.

Posted by: Stu Rawnsley (---.callplus.net.nz)
Date: February 20, 2010 07:49PM

Grant, I had the same question (for first guide only) on a large spinning rod. Your question didn't really get answered - how did it end up and do you have any advice? I figured I would try to align the step up exactly with the bend in each guide foot. Did you do the same?

Stu

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster