I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy Brush Cleaner
Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: December 21, 2009 07:57PM

Does anybody know what the chemical epoxy brush cleaner is made out of? I go through enough that ordering it 2 oz. at a time is ridiculous. I want to buy in bulk but don't know what the chemical is.
James

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy Brush Cleaner
Posted by: Vella (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 08:40PM

I use XYLOL, its an epoxy thinner, Any paint store sells it for about 15 bucks a gallon

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 10:09PM

I use mid-temp lacquer thinner I get from Home Depot

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Walt Natzke (---.dhcp.mghl.ca.charter.com)
Date: December 21, 2009 10:43PM

I don't know what's in it, but the U-40 brush cleaner is amazing stuff...it solves everything! AND it is not harsh on the hands.
It is listed as available in half gallons on the Trondak website.

Walt

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 11:24PM

James,
I use Xylene to clean epoxy and it works very well.
I you look on the side of the can, it specifically indicates that it is a cleaner for epoxies.
Remember, Xylene and Xylol fumes are very toxic. So, be sure to use super ventilation if you use either of these chemicals.

Acetone has about the same toxicity level, so this is also one that needs to be used very carefully.

---
The best thing with respect to cleaning epoxy filled brushes is to NOT clean the brushes.

Rather - buy inexpensive brushes, and throw them away after one use.

I buy brushes for about 4 cents each in quantities of 100 and they work just fine for applying finish.

To apply heavy glue up type epoxies, I use a popcicle stick - 0 cost. ( the sticks come with the popcicles. )

I have tried many different brushes over the years, - inexpensive to very expensive. I really find no difference in the finished product, so can find no reason to use an expensive brush that needs to be cleaned.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 22, 2009 12:26AM

Disposable brushes save time and $$ as brushes end up costing less than the solvent if you can find a good deal.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 22, 2009 12:33AM

I agree with the above. I buy craft brushes and popsicle sticks by the hundreds at Wally World in the Craft Dept. See no reason to do otherwise.
Use them and throw them away. I even mix my finish with one of the used plastic brush handles.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 22, 2009 08:31AM

I save my pennies and the dollars follow. I put a little in small mayonnaise jars with a good top seal. Lasts a long time.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: December 22, 2009 12:07PM

I agree entirely that the U40 brush cleaner is awesome stuff but I would rather buy in bulk and not have to ship it. Thank you to those of you who supplied chemical names that I will check out. This should save me a significant amount of money. Thank you all again.
James - Sporting Wood Technologies

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2009 09:48AM

James,

When I apply finish, I pour some 91% alcohol in a finishing cup. I put the brush in the alcohol when I'm finished applying finish. Since I hand turn the rod, by the time the finish sets enough to allow me to walk away for 5 minutes or so to clean the brush, it takes little more than another quick rinse in alcohol and a good flushing with tap water. Alcohol isn't very expensive and works well enough to clean up anything I've used in rod building.

I prefer the tip styles available on artist type brushes to the disposable ones. I just feel I have more control over where I'm putting the epoxy.

Joe

Posted by: Bill Cason (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2009 09:07AM

I haven't checked the labels, but everything that is used to describe this brush cleaner indicates that it's primary ingredient is Diethylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether, otherwise known by the trade name Butyl Carbitol. It has exactly the properties described above. It can be purchased by the gallon from a variety of chemicals suppliers. If you do a web search for chemical supplies in your area you should find someone. For example, it is available in a variety of sizes (gallons, pails, barrels) in Houston from a company called Sweetlake Chemicals. That particular company doesn't do retail (wholesale only), but any company of that type could point you in the right direction.

Bill & Martha Cason
Cason Custom Rod Finishes, LLC
Houston, TX

Home of Cason's Crystal Clear Color Preservers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster