I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Painting aluminum reel seats
Posted by: Brock Arstill (64.160.86.---)
Date: December 21, 2009 06:00PM

This is my first post and I've only built eight rods (a couple of spinning rods and some salmon and halibut rods). I have appreciated all the tips and advice I have read from this forum. I could not have built the rods I have without the information that this forum provides. I have a question that I hope has not already been answered in this forum. I have a buddy that wants a halibut rod with the University of Oregon colors as a tribute to his late father. I would like to paint the hoods of a green aluminum reel seat yellow. I have seen posts for painting graphite reel seats, but not aluminum, or am I mistaken? Is the process any different for a graphite reel seat, as oppose to an aluminum reel seat? Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.
Brock

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Painting aluminum reel seats
Posted by: Victor Heal (---.gdrpmi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 07:29PM

Brock,

The problem I can see with painting aluminum is adhesion. Aluminum is a very difficult metal to get paint to stick to successfully. That is why most aluminum boats weren't painted until recently. I painted bare aluminum truck bodies and aircraft for several years and there is a definite process that you have to use. The aluminum has to be washed,rinsed, etched, rinsed and alodined then dried. Which is to say basically, degreased and etched with acid in order for adhesion to occur properly then primed and lastly painted. It is slightly more involved but that is the basic idea.

On a reel seat, The coating is most likely a PVDF coating and you might be able to carefully scuff this caoting without going through with 400 grit sand paper then prime and paint over it. I would want to try it out on something less important first and test it for adhesion. The coating should provide good chemical adhesion to the bare aluminum but in order for primer and paint to stick you need a water break free surface for good mechanical adhesion.Thus the sanding.

I might think about incorporating yellow into the handle or somewhere else first before I tried to paint the hoods. If you do decide to tackle it here is where I would start. Pay close attention to the first step it is by far the most important.

1) Before and after sanding the hoods you are going to want to thouroghly clean and degrease them making sure any contaminates are removed.
2) Mask off the parts that you don't want painted.
3) Prime the hoods with an etching primer speciffically designed for aluminum.
4)Paint with a high quality marine grade two part epoxy. This should give you the best protection against the elements.

Hope I didn't burst your creative bubble I would just hate to see you posting about the paint coming off a few months down the road.

Good luck,
Vic

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 09:04PM

Perfection aluminum seats can be ordered thru some distributors with various color combinations. Perhaps you could get them with light gold(near yellow) hoods and a green body. Try talking to plating shops near you that do specialty work in anodizing. You may need to check with tire or auto suppliers. I have seen some rims that weren't standard colors. I would suggest you paint a Fuji HD seat so you get exactly what you want.
Chuck

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 10:25PM

Check out American Tackle and Pac Bay. They have a selection of Alum seats with hoods in colors

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Brock Arstill (64.160.86.---)
Date: December 22, 2009 11:27AM

Thanks for the replies. You have saved me time, frustration and money. Sounds like I may have to incorporate the yellow somewhere else.
Brock

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster