I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

'Wind-On' Swivels vs. Guides
Posted by: brian neff (216.110.115.---)
Date: December 20, 2009 06:10PM

I have been using a wind-on swivel lately for my braid to topshot connection on rods used for trolling (not casting). I use 20-30 pound line and the tiny Spro swivels and they seem to go through the guides just swell in both directions on my ugly sticks. BUT now I'm building a couple custom rods for myself and I'm wondering if wind-on swivels might change what I do w/ the guides, both in size toward the tip and in ring material. There doesn't appear to be anything on this in the archives.

Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 'Wind-On' Swivels vs. Guides
Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 07:36PM

Brian,
Windons will be fine, but Winthrop Tool rollers are even better. They have just come out with a more economical roller that has the same quality, but a smaller price tag. I took some pictures for my website this morning and they are not downloaded yet. The picture is of the winthrop express roller with a PENCIL stuck thru the hole with the roller!!!

They are the bomb.

If you are interested in them, email me. I am a distributor for Winthrop.

KEvin

Posted by: Dan Bryant (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 08:15AM

We use the Spro #4 swivels on our wire-line trolling rods all the time here in New Jersey. The wire dictates that we use silicon nitride guides. I have not had any problems with the Spro swivels and the silicon nitride; no chips or grooves. We do use a slightly larger guide, no smaller than 10 for the tip and I often see 12, to ensure the swivels get through okay. I have not tried roller guides myself with rolling up swivels.

-Dan

Posted by: brian neff (216.110.115.---)
Date: December 21, 2009 09:08AM

Thanks Dan & Kevin.
I think roller guides are WAY overkill on a kayak trolling rod w/ 20 pound line. The minimum size number & ring material is exactly what I'm looking for. I've been using the Spro power swivel size 7 (75 pound test). They're practically as narrow as a knot, just harder.

Do you think SiC rings be too fragile?

Date: December 21, 2009 09:44AM

Brian - I have not tried SiC with the swivels, so I hesitate to voice an opinion. But with line that light, you might just consider skipping the Spro swivels and use Bimini twist knots. That is what we do with the wind-on leaders that we use for tuna jigging. You put a bimini twist in the end of your main line, and another at the end of your leader (if it doesn't already have a loop, as most wind-ons do), and then use loop them together. The bimini twist knot takes some practice, and you can change leaders very easily if you need to. You don't need to make new knots when you are on the water, unless maybe you break your main line. I think it is easier than the Spro swivels for both braid and mono.

-Dan

Date: December 21, 2009 09:48AM

And I forgot to point out, that the bimini twist knots and loop to loop connections are stronger than other knots, I think it is essentially a 100% line strength knot. It is a great connection, probably stronger than the Palomars we use for braid or the clinch knots that you use for the Spro swivels.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2009 10:30AM

If you want to stay with ringed guides, eventually you will have a pop out from running back and forth through them. The American Tackle ring lock virtus guides just about eliminate from that and I would head toward that direction with ringed guides.

Using rollers: with that small spro swivel you might be able to get away with simple standard guides, and if not, the HD aftcos will pass it with no issues.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 04:37PM

Sorry, I missed the 20lb part! Yes, way overkill. I would say size 10 would be the smallest guide size for the spro.

Kevin

Posted by: Clyde Hunt (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 22, 2009 08:34PM

Bag the Spro connection and go with a quality connection knot like the Slim Beauty instead. I’ve gone as small as a size 10 tip on surf rods and they pass a #20- #50 mono connection without a problem. I run #80 braid to #80 mono connection thru a #12 turbo and standard Aftco tip and stripper without a hitch.

Posted by: Mark Messere (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2009 08:14PM

wind-on top shots constructed with hollow core spectra are the way to go. Lose the hardware and you can build with any guides you want within reason. If you are capable of building a rod you can build your own windons or top shots. My second choice would be learning some knots like the slim beauty or the worm knot. Again this will eliminate the swivel or at least move it to a point in your system where it does not need to be reeled through the guides.
MM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster