I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

8 wt rod for daughter
Posted by: Bill Hartlage (---.sip.sdf.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 05, 2009 03:19PM

want to build daughter an 8 wt rod for and occasional trip to fla. or michigan. I built her a 9' 6" 6 wt for trout 0n a dan craft blank she loves it. I am looking at a 3 pc gl3mloomis blank or a rain shadow 9 ' 8 4pc a dan craft is also in consideration as I like their service. Price will vary > <$50
have prior problems with gl3 gone away?
rain shadow seems a little slower ,dan craft is "medium fast" which is comparable to rain shadow.
Will be a xmas present.
advice or input on pro -con appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 8 wt rod for daughter
Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: December 05, 2009 04:17PM

Never heard of any problems with the GL3 series from G.Loomis. Your bigger problem is that Loomis no longer sells blanks so even if you find one you have no warranty for a replacement blank and cannot build another even if you needed to. I would choose one of the others at this point.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.77.134.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: December 05, 2009 04:33PM

Try the 8' 5 weight Traditional 2 from Cabela's.
The rod is mistakenly rated a 5 weight but is a beautiful casting 8 weight capable of casting the whole line with accuracy. Recently had a Hardy rep cast 90' within a 5' circle with mine and his statement was "nothing wrong with that".
Very inexpensive blank but everyone likes the feel and action.

Gene Moore

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: December 05, 2009 09:37PM

Yes, the GL# blanks will be a thing a of the past.

Also, IMHO, stick with the 9 footer. Much better line control in terms of roll casting, mending, pick more line up off the water, etc...This will be of great value in MI as well as FL.

I like the RX7 when it comes to performance and then price. They are a MED-FAST action. Also, I, like most of the forum members, have herd that Dan Craft blanks are a GREAT VALUE.

Good luck!
Paul

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 05, 2009 10:52PM

I too have never heard of any G Loomis problems, fly rods or gear rods. Have an 9 ft 9 inch 8 wt GL3 that I've had for close to 14 years with no problems. The Rainshadows are popular steelhead blanks here in the Pac NW as are the Dan Crafts.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: December 06, 2009 07:07PM

Hey Spencer...

I too have that rod. I remember when Steve Rajeff and Tom White showed that rod to me when it first came out many moons ago. I landed about a 55# Chinook on it. (Not that I condone that rod for that large of fish....)

Anyway...your mention of that rod brought back many good memeories with it.

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster