I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stix & Bones RMM 12.4 Thanks J.P.!
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2009 12:10PM

Hey everyone!
If you missed RodMaker mag issue 12.4 I suggest highly you order (or borrow if you can) that back issue. Within that issue is an article by J.P. Timberlake showing how he make what he calls his "Sticks & Bones" aka SBSS spinning reel seat & grip set.

The SBSS is quite easy to make and very very comfortable as well as providing one the opportunity to add some creative pizazz too.

I've been wanting to give cork checkering a shot and I liked the looks of J.P.'s design so I figured I try both new things together. It was a fun project!
My checkers could be better. I need to buy or make a more precise wedge cutter but I couldn't be happier with the construction.

I used the larger of the 2 sizes of slip rings I found that Pac Bay made and a 20mm skeleton seat instead of the usual 15mm or 16mm a lot of guys use for Ultra Light reel seats because I wanted to keep as much of the original diameter of the cork rings as I could. The more I use larger diameter spinning seats the better I like them! Here is pix. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stix & Bones RMM 12.4 Thanks J.P.!
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: December 01, 2009 12:59PM

That is cute. Hmm, do you think one could mix cork and EVA? Might add some interesting color.

Date: December 01, 2009 01:05PM

Sure could! However, if you use mostly EVA for the seat barrel I would add a couple hard plastic, wood, acrylic, or horn accent rings so the reel sits on something more rigid than just foam.

Raymond Adams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2009 01:54PM by Raymond Adams.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2009 01:48PM

Great looking handle Raymond. Where did you get the blank? Are there more?
Chuck

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: December 01, 2009 05:27PM

I built one of those out of burl and aluminum accent rings on a 7'10" MHX and it feels great! From now on if I have a doubt about an Aero being too small I will use the SBSS. Unfortunately I haven't been able to finish that rod yet... or make an SBSS out of foam core/composite.

That handle is one of the most valuable things I got out of my subscription so far. Thanks Tom and J.P. Timberlake!

Nice job on that handle too, Raymond.

Steve

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2009 04:07PM

i am glad you like it. nice job on your handle. hope things are going well on the left coast

Date: December 04, 2009 04:10PM

Thanks J.P.!

I did a split grip handle too after that one. I don't think I'll be making spinning grips any other way any more.

Raymond Adams

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster