I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What should I expect if I remove a section or two from a fly blank
Posted by: Harold Dean (68.182.134.---)
Date: November 28, 2009 10:18PM

I picked up a 7pc. 9ft. 3/4 wt fly rod blank today for a very reasonable price. (trading for a butt wrap) It's moderate to fast action. I don't really want a 9ft. 7 pc rod, so I'm thinking of taking off the last one or two butt sections and making the rod either 7'9 or 6'6. I whipped the rod in the air a few time with the sections removed, and it still appears to me to be moderate action. Will this change the line weight at all (increase/decrease?). It will be used for fishing small creeks and pools, so distance casting is not a requirement. Just curious what I should expect from the rod by doing this. What would be the pros and cons of this alteration. I welcome any input/feedback.

thanks
Harold

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What should I expect if I remove a section or two from a fly blank
Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 28, 2009 11:01PM

What you can expect is a fly rod that lacks the necessary power to turn a decent size fish.
I recently built a 6' 10 wt rod for a flats guide who had fished with a 10 wt fly rod that had a broken butt section. It had been a 3 pc, 9' rod and became a 2 pc, 6' rod. While he LOVED the short rod, he was unable to turn any decent size fish with it. I suspect you might have a similar experience.
Also, be aware that the rod blank was designed as a 9' blank. Shortening it removes most of the backbone of the rod. The wall thickness of the tip sections is likely not the same as in the butt, so strength will likely be compromised.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 28, 2009 11:22PM

Removing the butt section will create a rod with a much slower action and one with considerably less power. That might make it perfect, or completely useless. It depends on what you're after.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2009 12:22AM

tape some guides and a top on it, tape the reel on it, and go cast it. You can find out right away if it will do what you want.

My experience with multipiece rods is that you will probably be better off trading the blank for one that you want instead building this one short.

You can always leave some of the sections assembled when you take it apart.

Posted by: Harold Dean (96.1.11.---)
Date: November 29, 2009 12:06PM

I don't anticipate anything over a lb. in these little creeks, so the power aspect may not be a factor. Most of the casts will be simple roll casts. Bill, that's my plan for today is to line it out and see what it can do with some taped on guides and I'll try it with various line weights. I suspect 4wt. or possibly 5wt line to get it to load proper may be needed. Gary, good point, I never thought about the different wall thickness, so I will have to take that into consideration. Tom, you hit it on the head as usual. It's going to be good or bad, so give it a go and see what happens is my thinking. I think I'll build it as a 7'9 to start with, and see how I like it. That will be a happy compremise.

Thanks for the help.

Harold

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2009 02:15AM

Harold,
Although you can do - of what you speak, wouldn't it be a better idea to simply pick up a blank that better fits your particular needs.
Sometimes - things that come at low cost - end up being quite expensive, particularly if after spending a lot of time and effort - don't end up giving the desired results.

Good luck in your endeavor.

Roger

Posted by: Harold Dean (96.1.3.---)
Date: November 30, 2009 11:59PM

Normally I would agree Roger, but I have no use for a 9' 7 pc rod. The blank price was right, and I don't mind experimenting with this one. I think I've come to the conclusion I;m going to knock off one section and make it a 7'9" -6pc. I know a lot of guys that will want it if I'm not happy when I'm done. I can give it away or trade it for something else. Thanks for your input Roger, I appreciate it.

cheers
Harold

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster