I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy now or after under wraps?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 26, 2009 01:46AM

Tore down my buddys tuna rod down to the grips. it had a gloss finish to it, not any more it doesn't its [flat]. planning on putting epoxy on the whole rod. should i do it now or after I do the under wraps. I think I should epoxy after the under wraps. please advise.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy now or after under wraps?
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 26, 2009 02:24AM

I would not use epoxy, especially the type used on wraps as it is not made for this purpose. It stays flexible (good) but also somewhat soft (bad). A coating more like Perma Gloss is more appropriate for coating the blank, and do it before wrapping.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2009 02:38AM

Michael,
Keep the epoxy off the rod.
Way too much weight with epoxy.
Follow Phil's advice to give a great finish with minimum weight.
Take care
Roger

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: November 26, 2009 10:45AM

definately coat with Permagloss if you have to coat it with something.
Paul

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Date: November 26, 2009 11:32AM

cool, thanks guys

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 26, 2009 12:05PM

Clean it up and do the underwraps before application of anything - finish the rods out and let the bare blank section coating be your last process. If this is a heavy duty tuna stick a high percentage of the blank is covered with thread. One the tip section the span of open blank is normally quite short A large number of production as well as custom builders use full flow coats of two part epoxy for 100% blank coverage for that class of rod. If the blank is white the two part will yellow with time - the ability to fill dings and discontinuites of finish to cover dings and discontinuities for a rebuild in the blank finish is easily done with one full flow coat of two part. The weight of a coat of finish on that rod will not severely impact the performance.

Anti Micro - Coated Tuna Sticks Goin To Work!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2009 12:14PM by Bill Stevens.

Date: November 26, 2009 12:10PM

bill, I thought the same thing its a heavy rod anyhow.

Posted by: Vella (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: November 27, 2009 09:47AM

I would clean it up and lay out where the underwraps will be and use PG on just the parts that will be exposed (who cares what it looks like under the wrap) That way you are only dealing with small sections of the blank at one time, Also, Then you can put your underwraps down and over lap back onto the refinished sections of the blank

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster