I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trimming Out Inlays.
Posted by: Tom Allgaier (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 18, 2009 07:44PM

I have recently went off on a new tangent with snakeskin inlays. I am perfecting the seamless application, some almost invisible others well.... My problem is when I attempt to over wrap the inlay slightly for a neater edge and to also provide an under wrap for an adjoining guide I cannot make the transition. The thread piles up on the edge of the inlay and looks terrible. I am using Gudebrod A 2 strand nylon NCP as an under wrap. And Gudebrod D 3 strand nylon NCP as an over wrap.A few attempts were successful, more were not than were. I have tried to build it up with color preserver, with little success as it dries very thin. I have considered making a ramp with epoxy but I am a little rluctant since it is permanent with no turning back if there is a mistake.I hope someone has a better idea. Inlays are by far one of my favorite things to work with Abalone, feathers skin, even fabrics etc... This problem seems more prevalent with snakeskin. Thank You, Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trimming Out Inlays.
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 18, 2009 08:59PM

I always put a thin coating of finish on the skin extending just beyond the edges (Pat Vinzant, the "skinmaster", squares off the edges by wrapping a band of masking tape on the blank just over the edges of the skin as a guide and cuts the skin square with a rasor blade and just wraps up to the skin)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.180.130.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 18, 2009 09:34PM

I usually put a thin coat of finish on the skin and then wrap over the finish when it's dry.

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: November 19, 2009 10:14AM

Thin coat of finish and wrap uphill, always wrap uphill to prevent this or to make it easier.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 19, 2009 10:39AM

Like Sam said wrapping uphill is easier, and also watch the thread tension, to tight and the thread will grip the finish and be hard to move and pack. permagloss works better on the ends, it is a lot harder. Finish can be put over when done,

Posted by: Tom Allgaier (---.net.bhntampa.com)
Date: November 23, 2009 11:28AM

Thank You everyone for your info, I used your suggestion to use a "little finish" worked like a charm...
Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster