I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Exposed Fly Reel Seats
Posted by: Quinn_Canfield (198.182.55.---)
Date: November 18, 2009 12:52PM

Cabelas sells a fly rod (L-Tech) with a minimalist reel seat. I am guessing I could piece something like that together but is there something available as a turn key product?

Thanks,
Quinn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Exposed Fly Reel Seats
Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.)
Date: November 18, 2009 01:26PM

I remember hearing a duck decoy maker say something about how he managed to carve the fowl --- he just cut away everything that did not look like a duck! I would guess if you took a reel seat and cut off everything that is not really needed for mounting to the rod and for securing the reel, you would have a very minimalist seat.

Posted by: John Lubben (---.static.gci.net)
Date: November 18, 2009 03:59PM

Quinn, I was eyeing that same rod. I would love to find a source for those seats as well. Sorry, I don't feel like carving away metal seat either. )

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: November 18, 2009 04:05PM

Why not use a regular skeleton graphite spinning seat?

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.83.20.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: November 18, 2009 09:15PM

You could try a fly or spinning skeleton with graphite arbors.
I thought they were just being cheap and avoiding the cost of exotic wood on their top of the line rod.
Personally I thought it was tacky you used to get a beautiful rosewood with polished aluminum fittings, not plastic.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2009 06:02AM

sorry late night double post...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2009 06:29AM by George Forster.

Date: November 19, 2009 06:13AM

Quinn,
I liked that idea, too, but didn't want to pay a machinist to make those parts. Here's my attempt at an exposed fly reel seat. I used a flush mount seat because the front hood is machined to hold the foot of the reel (no insert necessary). The threaded barrel was cut to reduce weight (and for aesthetics). I wanted a little longer fighting butt, since this will be used for Pike and Musky. I used dry wall mesh for the arbors, and cut the mesh narrower than the seat parts so that the epoxy would have a "reservoir" to contain it. Sherwin Williams red tint was mixed with Flex Coat to make the ramps.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
George

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: November 19, 2009 09:16AM

George, that looks great. I've got an 8wt blank that is waiting to be built and I had planned on doing the same thing you did there. Very nice. What seat did you use?

Date: November 19, 2009 10:25AM

Andrew,
It is an American Tackle A7. Thank you for the kind words.
George

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster