I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxying between the guide feet.
Posted by: Harold Dean (96.1.3.---)
Date: November 09, 2009 06:38PM

What's the secret to getting a nice even finish at the edge of your wraps, between the guide feet. The outside edge is easy, it's the inside edge that doesn't always go on evenly. Is it just patience, and or, are there some tricks you use to accomplish this. I'm interested in hearing some of your methods.

Thanks
Harold

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxying between the guide feet.
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2009 07:09PM

Harold,
It is quite easy.
I use a power wrapper to apply finish.
When I come to that part of the finish - I stop the rod, when the guide is lying on its side. I wick some finish down past the end of the guide. Then, rotate the guide 180 degrees and wick finish down the other side of the guide.

Increase speed and the epoxy flows out nicely.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: November 09, 2009 07:30PM

Harold- I do it the same as Roger I suppose. I use a brush to apply finish. That area is the last one I do. I separate a small portion of the bristles with the guide foot. The smaller section of the bristles goes on the backside of the foot thus wetting the area for the finish to run behind the foot. I am only using 2 maybe 3 bristles to do that. Got to hold a little down pressure on the brush so these 3 bristles will lay flat on the blank and not wet a big area. With a little practice it is very easy and quick to do. You will have a perfect edge on the back side just like the front edge of the wrap.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Brian Morrow (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2009 10:00PM

I know a couple of local builders who use Scotch tape to produce a straight edge. I've tried it myself and it works very well.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: November 10, 2009 09:14AM

We use a Flex coat brush with the handle end sharpened in a pencil sharpener.
That sharp point allows you to flow a very small amount of finish into the tunnel.
Need more, just dip twice.
Otherwise, it is as Roger said above about laying on it's side and doing each side.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Harold Dean (96.1.8.---)
Date: November 10, 2009 10:48AM

I guess I'm doing it about the same as most then. Sometimes I notice I get a bit more in one spot compared to another. (shakey hands-even with an arm rest)

Thanks for the help everyone

Harold

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster