I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Formatting tip for printing of decals-minimum waste
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 10, 2009 10:44AM

One of the challenges with printing decal rod labels is printing without wasting a lot of media. One way that I've found to help this is to 1. Design the label with a graphics program in the size you want. 2. Open Dennison Design Pro label software from Avery-Dennison (free download) and open the template # 5661(this brings up a label 1 x 4 1/8 inches which can print 2 across-should accept most of our freshwater rod labels). 3. Copy and paste your rod label image (jpg) onto the #5661 label. 4. Go to the print preview command and select the position you want to print to (probably will be the top positions). 5. Print. 6. Cut off the label saving the rest of the media for other labels.

This will get you up to about 16 labels (2 across printing in pairs) off the media sheet before it gets too short to use-will depend on your printer.

It has one drawback. If you are using very fragile media, the up to 8 trips through the printer may damage the media. Others have suggested printing onto a plain piece of paper, cutting the decal media to proper size, tape it over the right spot on the paper, blue label Scotch removeable tape works well, then print. This will prevent multiple trips through the printer and I have found it works well. Combine it with the Dennison method for easy formatting and minimum media damage.

The Dennison Design Pro has lots of other templates for labels. (i.e. 5522 1 1/3 x 4 and 5662 1 1/3 x 4 1/8) Keep in mind that the only requirement is that your label be no larger than the template. The better your label and the template match will mean the less media you waste.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Formatting tip for printing of decals-minimum waste
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2009 11:16AM

Don't matter what software one uses. Once I get the label made I will guess at the size
(guesses get good with just a little experience) and print it on plain paper, cut it out, and check
the fit. If it fits good I print it again on plain paper then tape a piece of media directly over what
I have printed and run it through the printer. Whala! no wasted media and no running the media
through the printer mutiple times.

I have in the past and still do occasionally create a whole sheet of the same decal and just
print a sheet & cut them out but I prefer to dod them one at a time if I make them myself and
do not order water-slides which a very much prefer over peel & stick.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster