I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

decals
Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: November 06, 2009 05:14PM

Hi all
When trying to make water slide decals, after I apply them they end up being almost invisable and that is in silver and even in chartuse on a black rod. What can I do tro fix this? I used Microsoft Office Word and Artweaver 1.0

Thanks
Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: decals
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 06, 2009 05:33PM

Inkjet printer ink on a transparent water slide is fairly translucent and will allow the underlying blank color to show through. You might want to try the "electric" decal methods outlined in Rodmaker magazine for some pretty amazing decals. You can find some info about the process on the Swampland site (on the left) or do a search here for electric decals and select ALL DATES! If you don't already have it, a back issue of RM magazine with the original article is well worth it

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: November 06, 2009 06:18PM

Have it, like the Matrix blank to show around the decal.

Mike

Date: November 06, 2009 06:23PM

Hi
Would a Lazer jet work any better?

Thanks
Mike

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2009 07:08PM

If that's the case, your best bet would be to order a waterslide decal from Decal Connection. The lettering won't dissapear on the rod blank like it does when you print your own. And no, a lazer printer won't do any better.

Lance

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 06, 2009 07:20PM

There apparantly is some missunderstanding here - a color waterslide decal printed on clear waterslide media will lose color when applied to a black blank. If you want a color water slide decal request the waterslide paper with a white background. Your printer can not print white -

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 06, 2009 07:47PM

If the waterslide paper has a white background, it will have the artwork surrounded by the white paper which will show.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: David Rogers (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: November 06, 2009 07:59PM

double post...sorry!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2009 08:04PM by David Rogers.

Posted by: David Rogers (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: November 06, 2009 08:04PM

[www.rodbuildingtutorials.com]

I use this exclusively and it works great. I don't wipe it with Denatured alcohol anymore sine I now just take out the decal paper and keep it clean and don't touch the edges. Also my new email address is daveATemeraldcoastrodsDOTcom. I had to change my website due to a copyright issue.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Dave

Date: November 06, 2009 08:57PM

Hi
I've read this several times ,it's just not the look that I want. Guess I'm not going to have much of a choice.

Thanks
Mike

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: November 06, 2009 09:12PM

Mike - I think you are saying you want to see only the lettering on the blank. If you want to do them yourself you can try this method.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Chuck

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 07, 2009 10:51AM

Mike,
The two readily available options are ordering from someone like the Decal Connection or using the dry ink method Chuck references above. Decal Connection is great to deal with and the cost per decal is minimal. I have not tried the dry ink method, but I know it can be challenging. I actually have the stuff and may give it a try when things slow down. The other option is an Alps printer, but they are getting hard to find and harder to get fixed when they inevitably break down.

Robert

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: November 07, 2009 01:48PM

Yes, the Alps is an option too.

I am having better luck lately with the dry transfers. I put two decals on a rod last night and everything went great. I think I have it down now.

The customer wanted "silver & blue" so I did blue wraps with silver trim bands and a holo foil for the decals. I made these last night in under an hour and put on a coat of TM this morning.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster