I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel seat orientation and terminology
Posted by: Bob Scacheri (---.hsd1.de.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2009 08:11PM

I am building a freshwater spinning rod and about to place the reel seat. Does placing it "up-locking" mean the nut is on the bottom (so it locks at the top)? Or is it the other way around? Also, for those who have a preference up-locking or down-locking, why do you prefer it that particulary way?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel seat orientation and terminology
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2009 08:37PM

Bob,
Generally speaking the preference by different individuals of an up lock or a down lock reel normally deal with their like or dislike of their fingers on the threads of the reel seat.
Also, depending on the orientation of the reel seat, as well as brand and model of reel seat, a particular reel seat orientation may fit the fisherpersons palm better in one orientation compared to the opposite orientation.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 30, 2009 08:55PM

Yes, up locking means the nut is at the bottom.
As Roger said , it is a personal preference thing.
I usually set mine down locking because I don't like the nut and threads on the heel of my hand.
Get it ready to glue up , slide it in place and see what you think about the way it feels in your hand before you add the glue.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: October 30, 2009 09:42PM

Bob, another tip is to cut off the excess threaded portion. Leave only enough of the threads required to back off the nut and remove your reel. This can eliminate up to an inch or so of ugly threaded seat on some builds. This is especially noticeable on down-locking, no fore grip rods.

Chuck

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: October 30, 2009 09:42PM

Bob, another tip is to cut off the excess threaded portion. Leave only enough of the threads required to back off the nut and remove your reel. This can eliminate up to an inch or so of ugly threaded seat on some builds. This is especially noticeable on down-locking, no fore grip rods.

Chuck

Posted by: Bob Scacheri (---.hsd1.de.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2009 12:24PM

Thanks for all the replies. I just trimmed the seat as suggested, and tried both up and down locking. I am going to go with uplocking because I don't like my thumb on the threads.

Bob

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2009 01:02PM

Bob,
With respect to Chucks comments about trimming a reel seat to Just Fit a particular reel.
It is a good idea, but be sure to not cut it off too much.
Often a good fishing rod will out last a particular reel many times over.
As a result, you may find down the road that a new reel doesn't fit on the rod with the severely trimmed reel seat.

Before trimming a reel seat, it is not a bad idea to take a tape measure and take it over to your local fishing and sporting goods supply store.
Measure the length of the reel foot of a bunch of different potential reels. This measurement will give you a pretty good range of the foot size of many different potential reels that might be put on the rod one day.

Just keep these measurements handy, when you go to trim a reel seat to avoid reel installation issues.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2009 01:36PM

I build locking up (threads at the bottom). Reason being most spinning rods are usually tip heavy so I like to slip my hand up abit onto the foregrip to help balance the rod - and I can cast with my hand there as well. I wouldn't want threads in my way.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: November 02, 2009 07:01AM

Hello Bob

I fish piers with "got-cha" plugs and when you are jiging you hold the rod tip down over the side of the pier and the threads get between your thumb and forefinger with an up-locking so for pier jiging rods I allways use down-locking.

Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster