I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Questions
Posted by: Oscar Ramos (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: October 29, 2009 12:59AM

1. What do you use to clean the epoxy from the brushes?
2. what type of epoxy do you use and why?
3. what are some tools that are esential to begin IE. burnishing tool, thread cutters, .....
4. what book do you recomend for begginers
5. where do you usually shop for your supplies
6. is there a brand of thread that you prefer and why.
7. what are some of the resources you use?
8. what can i buy at the hardware store?
I know its alot of questions but if you could answer just a few i would really appreciat it thanx. More to come as they come to mind.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 29, 2009 01:39AM

Oscar (in your order)

1. I don't clean the brushes - I use inexpensive plumber's acid flux brushes and toss them.
2. Rod Bond for glue / AFTCote for thread
3. Single edge razor blades, scissors, fine toothed metal file (for guide foot preparation)
4. Tom Kirkman's book is the most straight forward "get to it" book on the market
5. Sponsors (on the left side of this forum's page) and watch here for "specials" form them
6. I have no preference but would recommend Gudebrod to anyone just beginning as "sure thing" to wrap and finish
7. This (and other) on-line forums, public library, wood turner's web sites; fabric, craft and sewing stores
8. Depending upon how "handy" you are you can build almost any tool from hardware and electrical supply houses. Start searching the photo section here (above) under "Equipment and Tools" for some really good ideas.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 29, 2009 02:08AM

Oscar Ramos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1. What do you use to clean the epoxy from the
> brushes?
Like Ken above I use disposable brushes but I buy the Flex-Coat brushes & just toss'em
> 2. what type of epoxy do you use and why?
Rod Bond (it's a paste, I trust it) I'm using Diamond II finish at the moment works well for me no hassle.
> 3. what are some tools that are esential to begin
> IE. burnishing tool, thread cutters,
..... those already mentioned, and a good level,
> 4. what book do you recomend for begginers
Tom's book, Flex-Coat's "How We Do It", All 3 books by Dale P. Clemens
> 5. where do you usually shop for your supplies
Depends on the supplies but I go to C & M Custom Tackle mostly
> 6. is there a brand of thread that you prefer and
> why.
For metallic threads I use FishHawk it's more user friendly
> 7. what are some of the resources you use?
Other rod buiiders of course! This forum and others, books, DVD's, Manufacturer and Supplier websites, and a seldom used old device called a telephone
> 8. what can i buy at the hardware store?
good epoxy adhesive like Kardol (sometimes), all-thread- nuts-wahers for making cork clamps
masking tape, carpet tape, urethane, & various other wimzical implements of destruction and compromise.

> I know its alot of questions but if you could
> answer just a few i would really appreciat it
> thanx. More to come as they come to mind.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2009 02:28AM by Raymond Adams.

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.c002.t7.mrt.starband.net)
Date: October 29, 2009 08:08AM

One of the best things you can do is go to the EXPO at High Point & attend the seminars. Especially Mike Barkley's "Dog & Pony" show. His seminar will save you enough to cover all costs associated with attending.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 29, 2009 08:55AM

Oscar,

That's alot of questions, but you've come to the right place. The guys on this forum are a wealth of information. Many of the questions that you've asked come down to personal preference. Here's mine:

1. Flexcoat Brush Cleaner
2. I use Flexcoat High Build for wraps because it's what I tried first and I like it.
I use flexcoat 5 min. epoxy for gluing reel seats, grips, and tip tops
3. I'd recommend getting a tool pack that contains a burnishing tool, thread pick, and scissors. You'll also need reamers, masking tape...I think that's all I used to build my first few rods. I used a cardboard box as a hand wrapper and I turned my rod by hand to allow the epoxy on the wraps to set.
4. Tom Kirkman's book on rod building
5. For purchasing supplies, any of the sponsors on the left are great.
6. I use Guedebrod thread, no particular reason.
7. As far as resources, I use this forum!!! The search engine on this forum is a huge asset!!!!!
8. I don't buy anything at the hardware store for rod building other than sandpaper and some drill bits. I occasionally get some Devcon 2 Ton epoxy if I'm low on flexcoat epoxy for glueing grips. The sponsors on this board have everything you'll ever need!

Hope I was of some help.

jeremy

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 29, 2009 11:11AM

Oscar.
To build rods, about all you need are some popcicle sticks to use as mixing and spreading sticks for epoxy.
Straight edged razor blades for scraping and cutting, a small pair of scissors to cutting thread and tape.

This assumes that you are building from a kit that doesn't need a lot of shop work to fit a handle etc.

I use 30 minute epoxy from a home builders store for handle attachment and flex coat for guide coating. I use 5 cent disposable brushes to apply flex coat and never clean brushes.

I always keep a gallon of alcohol on hand - alcohol from the home building store which is 100% alcohol and not the 50 or 70% style from the drug store.
I like to keep an alcohol burner on hand to take care of a heat source when needed, as well as to apply heat melt adhesive used for tip top application.

I always keep a gallon of Xylene on hand as well to take care of the really tough cleaning chores, to thin certain finishes. Note: Always open the windows and use a fan with a rebreather mask when using any of these style chemicals. Very bad for both your lungs as well as your brain if breathed into your body.

It is also a good idea to keep a box of latex gloves on hand to protect your skin from chemical injestion if using some of the chemicals and some of the other things that we do when buidling rods. Certain of these chemicals can be absorbed through the skin. Some folks are more and some folks are less tolerant of certain chemicals and solvents like Acetone, Xylene and Alcohol that may be used from time to time to build a rod.

As time goes by you will pick up things like drills, lathes, files, shapers, gougers, speed controllers, reamers, sand paper, power sanders, portable sanders, belt sanders, chisels, pliars, cut off tools, saws, abrasive wheels, dremel tools - etc. etc. etc.

Virtually all of the tools and glues that are used in rod building are used elsewhere in the world to do something. As a result, virtually all of these tools, glues and finishes are available from a myriad of sources.
Many of the sponsors on the left have very good selections of the necessary tools, glues and finishes that are used in rod building.
But, be bold and experiment. Many of the new ideas that we see in rod buidling every day occur as a result of someone trying out a tool, technique, material or finish that is NOT available from any of the normal rod building sponsors - but are commonly available in industry, the hardware store, the home building center, or the corner craft store.
So, use the sponsors whenever possible, but don't limit your options and possible new adventures in rod building by limiting your choices of tools, materials and techniques.
That is one of the wonderful things about this thing we called rod building. The sky is the limit and your imagination is the only thing holding you back from creating the next best rod creation.

But - to start, about all that you need is a cardboard box, popcicle sticks, and razor blades. p.s. popcicle sticks make good burnishing tools, especially if they have a thin coat of finishing epoxy on the surface to keep any slivers from getting into the thread.

Good luck
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2009 11:17AM by roger wilson.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster