I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Blank Opinions Wanted
Posted by: Joe Woolums (12.188.154.---)
Date: October 21, 2009 11:02AM

I am planning on having some rods replaced over the next year w/ some custom builds from I builder I use - I've kind of settled in on the Rainshadow RX8 Line, however with the release of the MHX line by Mudhole I am somewhat mixed about my selection. My question is how would you compare the two blanks to each other (quality, sensitivity, etc.). I currently have a couple of the RX8 - and they are really nice, however this MHX (IMX replacement) blank has gotten my attention. Any and all opions appreciated.

thanks,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Opinions Wanted
Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: October 21, 2009 11:09AM

The Batson RX8 blanks are a known commodity. They are excellent. The new Mudhole MHX will probably be very good as well but they have not stood the test of time, yet. I cannot really see them as an \"IMX\" replacement considering the price and country of manufacture, but time will tell. Just MHO.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2009 01:24PM

If I were building one rod, I would probably try the MHX. Mudhole generally has good product and I'm sure this is a good blank. However, you are replacing a number of rods, so the wrong choice could be a real problem. As Peter said, the RX8 is a known commodity and a very good blank.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2009 01:42PM

Peter,
Do you know for sure where the Mudhole MHX blanks are Mfgr'd? If your belief is just an educated guess
due to the selling price you might think again. I'm not saying they are or not made overseas and I'm not
saying they are made here in the USA. However, the timing of North Fork Composites and Mudhole both
releasing blanks together makes me wonder? Hum?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 21, 2009 01:50PM

Since you have a builder, why not ask him ????

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 21, 2009 01:52PM

I suspect the MHX and American Tackle Classic Series ARE one and the same, sold under different labels. I think they are made in China. Sure Mudhole will correct me if I\'m wrong. Nothing wrong with China made blanks.

I would bet my eye tooth that North Fork has nothing to do with the Mudhole MHX blanks.

Date: October 21, 2009 01:55PM

Don't let the price fool you. A lot if not all of the mudhole blanks are very nice indeed.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: October 21, 2009 03:29PM

Question - if blanks are made in China, shouldn't they have a "Made in China" label on them?

-----------------
AD

Date: October 21, 2009 03:39PM

Please !!! Batson as a lot made in China. There blanks are EXCELLENT. They care and when they had trouble with a company a while back - the changed it.

If I owned a company here, and had to pay labor rates of 20 - 30 and hour, don't you think I would look over seas ?? Made in America costs more, because it costs more to live in America.

It is the quality that is produced not where it is produced. Think about it !!

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 21, 2009 03:40PM

Please !!! Batson as a lot made in China. There blanks are EXCELLENT. They care and when they had trouble with a company a while back - the changed it.

If I owned a company here, and had to pay labor rates of 20 - 30 and hour, don't you think I would look over seas ?? Made in America costs more, because it costs more to live in America.

It is the quality that is produced not where it is produced. Think about it !!

This will probably be deleted O well

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 21, 2009 04:40PM

\"Nothing wrong with China made blanks. \" That is my statement from above. A little more time spent reading and less time spent assuming might be in order.

You are not required to put a \"made in China\" label on Chinese made products. I think it is the \"Made in USA\" that requires that the product be made or at least assembled here that carries any sort of requirement. But I cannot say for sure. I am no expert on product labeling.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 21, 2009 04:46PM

I just delivered 3 new MHX rods to a customer of mine after he tried the first one and they are top notch blanks. Not saying the RX8 aren't but I have no experience with them but I KNOW the quality opf the MHX blanks as I field tested a couple of them.
If in doubt call Bob or Todd or Scott at Mudhole and get their opinions as to what blank would best fit your needs.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2009 06:07PM

The MHX are indeed an excellent replacement to the IMX blanks formerly offered by Loomis. I have put them side by side to several potential customers and asked them to tell me which is which. I had one marked inside the blank, and from a consumer standpoint, not one could tell the difference, but I did have one say he liked a certain one better because it was an overall lighter blank. He thought it was a Loomis IMX, but it was actually the MHX and when I told him the price of both blanks he nearly fell down in shock. Do not under any circumstances let the price point of these blanks fool you.

The RX8 do have the time test going for them and they too are an excellent product. It will just depend on which blank fits your application better. You have and know the RX8s, get the MHX and then you have both to compare. If you like one more than the other, in the future build up another one of the ones you like more.

Posted by: kevin merritt (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2009 08:54PM

Comparable price , my nod goes to the MHX, the SB812 is a ridiculous good blank!

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 21, 2009 09:18PM

Joe,
I'd suggest you try one of the MHX blanks and decide for yourself. I'm not aware of anyone that has tried them that hasn't been happy with the finished rod.

Robert

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 21, 2009 10:04PM

I was at Mudhole this afternoon. I have already build a couple of rods on the MHX blanks, and my clients have RAVED about them. As an FYI, they are bagged in plastic, and the label at the top of the bag says they are made for Mudhole by Lamiglas. I didn't look for a country of origin. I DID note that they carry a lifetime guarantee.

When I have a few extra minutes, I am going to build the 7'6" popping blank into a nice trout and redfish rod for myself.

Why not have one rod built with a MHX blank and try it yourself? I think you will be impressed.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: October 21, 2009 11:14PM

The CRB Inshore Series is produced in the USA by Lamiglas. The MHX series is produced offshore.

Gary, check your tag again and see if you have a CRB blank or MHX blank. I have a feeling it is the former.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 22, 2009 10:44AM

I have built on the MHX series (very recently). Yesterday I looked at the blank made my Lamiglas...didn't pay attention to the series. Just liked the way the blank felt. Haven't built on it yet (but I am going to).
That's the problem with going to Mudhole...there are so many blanks, I turn into a kid in a candy store. (And I went there to pick up a few reel seats and arbors.)I have built a few rods on Mudhole's saltwater boat rod blanks. They are E-glass, made in China, and perform very well for the intended purpose. The price is unbeatable. For a value-minded client looking for a nice boat rod, they are perfect. Fitted out with nice components (guides, grips, reel seat, maybe a gimbal), the client can get a beautiful custom boat rod for personal or party boat use that doesn't require a 2nd mortgage.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 23, 2009 04:06PM

Jim Gamble Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The CRB Inshore Series is produced in the USA by
> Lamiglas. The MHX series is produced offshore.
>
> Gary, check your tag again and see if you have a
> CRB blank or MHX blank. I have a feeling it is
> the former.

It seems like everybody is getting hung up on where they are made. Does anyone on this board think they are the only ones that might be made offshore?

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: October 27, 2009 11:12PM

this is from the Mud Hole message board

"Abe,
the existing models are not manufactured here. While we did the bidding process with US manufacturers included to be honest none wanted to take on the project. There are quite a few blanks left to be added into the lineup and with both the fly and salmon & steelhead we will attempt to get US manufacturers to produce them.

Todd

--------------------

Todd R Vivian

todd@mudhole.com

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster