I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Assembling an American Tackle Matrix Reel Seat?
Posted by: Mark Vanderhoof (---.sub-75-195-169.myvzw.com)
Date: October 17, 2009 05:18PM

i just received all of the supplies and components to start my first spinning rod project. i already have a problem so i hope you can help! i purchased an American Tackle Matrix reel seat which came in four pieces. i was not expecting that. the reel seat came with the two ends that the reel foot goes in, a colored graphite insert and a woven material tube which goes on the inside which lines everything up. how do i assemble this seat? do i have to glue all of these parts together? please help. best, mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Assembling an American Tackle Matrix Reel Seat?
Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: October 17, 2009 06:56PM

Mark,
Yes they should be pre glued, at least that is how I do it. I tried doing it without glueing them first and it was a horror story. Take some epoxy and assemble and clean before the glue dries and then put it on the rod after it dries.

KK

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.89.18.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 17, 2009 09:37PM

I'm pretty sure that the colored tube has to spin freely to tighten the reel foot into the seat. But I could be wrong.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 18, 2009 02:06AM

No. The only thing that moves is the nut and one hood that turns over the threaded section to tighten over the feet of the reel. just make sure the hoods are aligned so the reel feet fit.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mark Vanderhoof (---.sub-75-236-165.myvzw.com)
Date: October 18, 2009 01:22PM

thanks for the replies. that turned into a disaster. got glue everywhere on the seat. tried to use little glue because the connections were so tight but still had ooze out. my once shiny graphite insert is no longer. all well, live and learn. ill make sure next time that the reel seat i order doesnt come in 4 pieces. no way to tell from the website and no instructions were included. kind of irritating. best, mark

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 18, 2009 01:31PM

Lots of paper towels and alcohol will clean it. Next time just get a graphite seat until you get into it more. A lot easier. Also do a section at a time, not the complete seat.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2009 01:33PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (72.166.145.---)
Date: October 18, 2009 11:52PM

Mark, my first rod was a fly rod, with the matrix seat.....blah blah, long story, it was a juggling act that should have taken more time had I been patient enough. I'm happy with the end result, but after that rod, I will use rod bond where ever I can on rod assembly, it stays put and doesn't run all over the place.

Posted by: Eddie Taylor (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2009 01:10PM

Love these reel seats - not that expensive and gives the rod a nice modern touch. I build mine way ahead of time and keep several in "inventory" for future builds.

I assemble the woven handle, threaded barrel (without the hood) and stationary hood on the graphite tube using rodbond. I put the graphite tube even with the end of the stationary hood as I usually end up cutting the finished reel seat down some from the threaded end. When I have these assembled I will put a 6" bolt with a large fender washer through the stationary hood end. From the barrel end will take an old paint brush - handle end - and push down on the inner graphite tube to make sure it is even with the end of the hood at the other end. I then put on another fender washer - barrel end - wing nut and snug down. Once snug, not tight, I then align the barrel with the stationary hood and tighten the wing nut down. As you are tightening got to make sure the assembly doesn't twist and mess up the alignment and that the bolt does not come "out of center" messing up the overall alignment.

Once tightened down and everything in place, I clean up all the rodbond that has squeezed out with alcohol and coffee filters - best lint free "paper towels there are and pretty durable. With the assembly tightened down its easy to clean. Can handle easily and all the joints at this point are solid with the compression on them. Let sit 24 hours and take apart.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Eddie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2009 01:26PM by Eddie Taylor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster