I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Turncrafter lathe - tail stock travel
Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2009 09:46PM

I ordered and received my Turncrafter Pro VS Lathe TCLPROVS but when I opened the box I noticed
the tail stock has no handle and no screw mechanism.
I was of the understanding this model had a 4" tail stock travel to be able to do boring.
Is this the wrong lathe or is the traveling tail stock an option?
Any help is appreciated. I'm new to using a lathe.
Andy Dear's video shows an adjustable tail stock is required for boring.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turncrafter lathe - tail stock travel
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2009 10:20PM

Steven,
You need to call your merchant from which you purchased the lathe and ask them to send you the correct tail stock.
You have received the incorrect tail stock.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 13, 2009 10:49PM

I don't think they make one with a "fixed" tailstock. the handle comes in a seperate hardware bag. There should be a chrome handwheel at the rear of the tailstock with a threaded hole in it for the handle to screw in to.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2009 11:04PM

Ooops first time user error everything is here. Thanks for the reply.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 14, 2009 12:58AM

Steven,

Since you're obviously setting it up, I think you'll find the center belt/pulley position to be your best bet. With the belt in the mid-range, the variable speed control should give you all the range you need w/o changing pulley positions. Make sure you check the instructions for how to tension the drive belt as it ships "loose".

Give me a hollar if you have any questions about setting up the chucks, mandrels, etc...

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster