I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need fast drying thread epoxy option?
Posted by: Bobby Silger (---.tohcorp.com)
Date: October 13, 2009 04:00PM

I usually use flex coat high build but I just got a phone call from a guy that needs an eye replaced tonight. He has a tournament he is leaving for in the morning. Is there a two part epoxy that I can use that will work on the eye were it will not have any issues?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need fast drying thread epoxy option?
Posted by: Bryan Thompson (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2009 04:05PM

The threadmaster I have is usable after about 10-12 hrs max.. Although there are a number of variables to this equation. In a 75* room I think 8-10 hrs is all you'll need.. Put a lamp right on it and it will be usable by tomorrow.

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: October 13, 2009 04:08PM

Not that I'm an expert on the subject, but I've heard of folks using Devcon epoxy for finish and if it needs to be quick, maybe the 5 minute epoxy would work, hopefully someone will chime in with validation on this.

Date: October 13, 2009 04:15PM

Well he wants to wait while I do it and than take it with him. There is one guy around here that does that. I am not sure what epoxy he uses.

Posted by: Bryan Thompson (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2009 04:24PM

5 Min will work in a pinch. In fact I have a 8 year old rod I did like that about 5 years ago and the nasty water contaminated thread and cracked yellow epoxy is still doing a good enough job to hold the guide in place. I don't see why you can't use a 5 min epoxy in a hurry or even one of those 1 hr epoxies also if you feel the nerves need more time. We've all gotten creative enough to make the purists roll over in there grave ;-).

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: October 13, 2009 04:30PM

I have used Flex Coat Epoxy Glue slightly thinned with Laq Thinner.
It set up in about an hour, just not completely, but could be moved.
I have done the same with 5 minute, but the finish was not as smooth or level.
It set up in about 15 minutes.
Both times the rod was rotating on a dryer.
It is probably the not the best way, but better than some of the things I've seen customers glob on over the years.
The finish may be a little brittle also.
If you explain this and he still must have it that quick, then it is up to you.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Lou Auret (---.sip.mem.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 13, 2009 04:47PM

Gudbrod 840, hit it with a hair drier and its dry in 5 to10 minutes, do second coat and dry again. Then when he returns from the trip you can lightly sand give third coat 840 and when dry use your regular epoxy/technique. Not sure about flexcoat over gudbrod, i use TM Hi and Regular over it and it works well for me.
I use 840 for many guys who want to wait on a new guide and wrap and many are happy with it as is, no epoxy needed.

Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range86-166.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 13, 2009 04:55PM

Just hit with a coat of CP. Ive ben fishing a rod for a couple years with no finish just CP. Still going strong

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 13, 2009 05:19PM

Clear fingernail polish.

DR

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 13, 2009 07:40PM

You are probablky done but Permagloss one coat, hit with a hair drier then every 15 min. another coat, do 2-3 coats. Let dry over night, the best you can do.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.91.219.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: October 13, 2009 08:39PM

I can second the clear fingernail polish.
Has worked as a quick fix many times. Sometimes for longer than I should have allowed.
When he has the opening it can be stripped and finished correctly.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 13, 2009 11:46PM

Go with the CP and or Nail Polish. Never use Crazy Glue ! Got a GL2 G Loomis in the other day for a rebuild / guide replacement. The guy had glued the loose stripper guide wrap with Crazy Glue. It ate the finish right off the blank in a spot about as big as a # 8 guide ring. Couldn't see or feel any blank damage nor could I get all the glue off without damaging fibers. Cleaned it up the best I could and when I set the new stripper guide I could cover it all with the wraps . Luckily the old stripper guide was close to the proper location, which doesn't always happen.
So,, don't use a glue or an epoxy that is hot enough to eat the finish. Keep the temporary fixes temporary and simple, you'll be glad you did.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2009 11:47PM by Jay Hunt.

Date: October 14, 2009 11:05AM

Thanks for all the help. I told him he had two options. First was to leave it with me and not take it to the tournament and I would fix it right. The second option was for me to use the 5 min devcon and it would yellow over time and could get brittle. That way I had no responsiblitly for how it would react or look after time. He went with the quick fix.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 14, 2009 02:09PM

No yellowing with permagloss

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fort-lauderdale-07rh15rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: October 14, 2009 03:04PM

Bill (and/or others) please correct me if I am wrong. The permagloss won't yellow but it contains no UV protectors so the thread under it may fade with time.

The 840 would dry very quickly and could be recoated with epoxy afterwards...right?

Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 15, 2009 07:44AM

For the quick fix clear fingernail polish is the answer, bailed me out more than once.

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2009 07:45AM by Walt Davenport.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: October 15, 2009 11:45AM

Yes to the 840 being able to be epoxy coated afterward. Its why i use it for this 'quick fix' and other odd applications (like when you have real thick feathers and you want to get all the air bubbles out with a very runny/watery liquid: 840 is what i use). Minimal smell and water cleanup.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster