I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral EVA grips
Posted by: Herman Knott (---.static.acsalaska.net)
Date: October 12, 2009 10:55PM

Any new ideas how to get EVA grips to have a sprial in them I tryed to inlay but due to the depth of my groves the base color showed through.
Next in going to try cutting rings from another grip the same size at a 30 degree after all is glued cut at a 90 degree and reverse and hopefully i will get a spiral
Herman

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral EVA grips
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 13, 2009 12:20AM

Posted by: Bill Marchisella (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 13, 2009 05:05PM

Herman,

To do this spiral you will need a jig. The grip in the picture is 272 pieces cut and glued together. By the way, I now hate contact cement. lol

Bill Marchisella

Posted by: Herman Knott (---.static.acsalaska.net)
Date: October 13, 2009 09:13PM

Well After 6 failed trys to get what i was wanting , all though i did learn some valuable lessons.
1) put a dowel inside the grip before and wile cutting. This seams to give a lot better control being ridgid rather than soft.
2) contact cement gets on every thing and i mean every thing soo do your work on a large chunk of cardboaed at least you get 2 trys at keeping the mess down and then just through it away and get another chunk.
3) break clean will clean off contact cement form your hand but it also stings if you have a cut. And lotion after cleaning was i nice touch by my wife.
I belive what i want is unatainable at least for a wile but not forgoten i will try again for a true sprial just not this month.
Herman

Posted by: Matt Davis (64.118.9.---)
Date: October 14, 2009 07:14PM

Some of the high end wood turners can help you out. Its been a long time since I was in that circle but I think I know what you're looking for here and they have the answer.

A carriage needs to be made for your lathe that a hand router can be mounted to. The router needs to be fitted with a 1/8" diameter straight cutter or similar. What ever width spiral you want. As you hand turn your your lathe, the carriage moves down the length of the lathe cutting a spiral groove in your grip.

With thin craft foam and a steel straight edge you can cut strips that you can insert into your spiral grooves.

I explored a similar set up a lifetime ago for a specialty high end wood project for a multi million dollar home I was on retainer for. The project never materialzed and I've forgotten much more than I remember...but its well within the reasonable realm.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 15, 2009 03:07PM

Unless you want to learn and do your own, just have Billy V build you one and get it from him. he is the pro on EVA grips.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster