I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How did I get into this again?
Posted by: Bobby Haynes (208.87.244.---)
Date: October 11, 2009 08:44PM

Okay, it started simply enough, I wanted to purchase new rods, and wanted some quality rods for my Bass fishing arsonal. So after some devoted time on the internet researching differant rods and rod builders, and seeinf the cost of such an undertakeing, i decided to take my time, and build my own. So i build my Rod Jig/Lathe. I buy some quality blanks. Make deessions on what type of handle, reel seat, guides, thread color, and everything else from bonding agents to finishes. I read endless articles on thread work, weaving, inlays, and everything else involved, and I start my first build. I spent the better part of Yesterday in the Kitchen annoying my wife while I wrapped, and rewraped guides on my first build. slowly adding finish to the threads. checking for bubbles and trying my best to make it perfect... (yes I will be posting somepictures very soon) then today. an hour before I go to work, I take the cured rod off the finishing motor, (epoxy was cured so that it wasnt tacky to the touch) and mount one of my reels. I carry it outside and do some casting with it. All I can say is Perfect!!!! Even My wife said it is a work of art. So I call my brother over to take a look. Unfortunatly my other brother was with him, so they both show up within mins. The Rod is a 7 foot baitcaster with a simple spiral wrap. Eva grips with a Fuji TPS seat. Black threads with red and silver accent bands, a Matte gray or matte Black finish. The Rod is Beautiful, and soon meets the approval of both of my brothers. They leave and within mins, bioth have showed up again at my house with 6 differant rods for repair..... so are broken gudies, broken tips, one with a reel seat that has come unglued. One of the six has nothing wrong with it, but Bill wants a Simple Spiral wrap on it, so what is a guy to do here. I guess I should have kept my new hobby a secret from them....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How did I get into this again?
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: October 11, 2009 09:04PM

Bobby - Sounds like your first is a winner! Congrats! Just one caution - it's best to let the finish cure for a few days before serious flexing (fishing or even test casting). Actually I have one more caution... get equal labor from your brothers! ;)

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: October 11, 2009 10:01PM

Bobbie welcome to the world of rod building. An other word of caution Never give friends or relatives a break. By that I mean charge everyone the same. Word will get out and everyone will want the same deal

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Erick Krotzer (---.dsl1.mond.mn.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 11, 2009 10:09PM

I give my buddies and relatives cheap or free work in exchange for work in their specialties. Fixing a few rods worked out to pay for a new head gasket in my car, skid loader work, and a bunch of trash hauled off for free.

Use your friends and relatives for testing subjects when you try new things because they will give you thier honest oppinion.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 12, 2009 06:34AM

You got into this the same way I did - only 30 plus years ago. I simply could not find what I wanted in an 'off the rack' rod.

Posted by: Ray Nicholas (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 12, 2009 09:55AM

Your post is an inspiration. I have been doing just as you did- reading, following posts on his forum, searching for parts for a rod wrapper, looking at all the supplies and rod components available - and had just about decided to give it up. All the experts on this forum know so much more than I could learn in 50 years, and the science behind most aspects of rod building seems so impossibly difficult that it was intimidating. But, now, your success has shown me that I, too, can be a rod builder.

Posted by: Bobby Haynes (208.87.244.---)
Date: October 12, 2009 09:25PM

Glad to be of service, and I know what you mean, When first getting one here, i asked what i thought was a simple question, got 50 complicated answers, and thought i would never be able to do this... but i made a few friends that helped me personally. Email me, if you have any questions... arkansaspirate@yahoo.com. I will help you in anyway I can. If i dont know an answer, then we can get it form some someone little more experienced.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster