I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spiral wrap
Posted by: Brian Rattenbury (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 09, 2009 07:19PM

Hi all, have started building a MB782 GLX in a spiral wrap configuration. I think I understand the basic principles of the spiral wrap design, but, my question is how can you get used to looking at the guides twisting around the blank? I've had them taped in place for a few days now , test cast for a while with it and it seems good but the look of the guides is too much. Will the benifits outweigh the aesthetics?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spiral wrap
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 09, 2009 07:59PM

Yes. The benefits will outweigh the aesthetics. Give yourself a chance to find out.

A year from now you may find that a rod with guides on top looks strange. It's all a matter of what you get used to seeing.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 09, 2009 08:54PM

I seldom build conventional so THEY look odd to me. Actually I like the look and the questions that I get about them. Gives me a chance to promote custom rods.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: October 09, 2009 09:10PM

I agree with Tom and Mike. I love my first one, am going to build another real soon.
Kyle

Posted by: Bobby Haynes (208.87.244.---)
Date: October 09, 2009 09:25PM

Well call me unconventional, but i am working on my first builds and I am going woth a simple spiral wrap on them.... A friend of mine who builds, (and is on the site somewhere) talked me into spiral wraps, I can see the logic in his arguments for them, so my rods are going to be spiral wrapped rods.

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: October 09, 2009 10:57PM

They do take alittle getting used to but the advantages are more. Most of my rods are 8-9' live bait rods. Anyone new I have to tell them that they are not broken that's the way they were built and explain. Re-wrapped 2 musky rods for a friend and says that he throws plugs better with spiral. Once the line is under rod use smallest guides 8 to tip.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 10, 2009 12:04AM

I was on a tuna trip once and a Deckhand tried to straighten my guides for me. Fortunately I was able to stop him before he put a little muscle into it and saved my rod. I love them.
Kerry

Posted by: Bobby Haynes (208.87.244.---)
Date: October 10, 2009 12:22AM

Funny how that works isnt it. everyone who sees the rods thik something is wrong with them...

Posted by: Jon Black (---.stx.rr.com)
Date: October 10, 2009 09:23AM

I've only built one for a personal redfish rod(revolver wrap), and I don't think that I'll build anything else for myself ever again for a casting configuration. Didn't take long at all to get used to, especially after that first 8lb fish on light tackle. Definitely made a difference.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 10, 2009 04:25PM

I built one for a guy who works in the fishing dept at Gander Mountain and does the bass tourneys in several nearby states. He only gave me the rod specs. Well I built a spiral, it was the first he had seen and gave me a look of doubt. Needless to say he loved it.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Jeff Seabridge (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 11, 2009 03:47PM

I built a simple spiral for a boat live line striper bunker /blackfish rod just recently. I had never built one before. Still have not fished it yet. I'm in the process of a spiral striper bunker spoon rod that is more of a revolver type to let the wire get around smootly. I can't tell you how anxious I am to get these rods in the water. Maybe two weeks. I let you know how they do from a newbee at this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster