I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

exposed blank reel seats
Posted by: Bobby Haynes (208.87.244.---)
Date: October 08, 2009 02:51AM

On my next project I am looking a a two peice exposed blank reel seat. my question is this, how hard it is to set these on the blank... they have to be set just the right distance apart for them to work, but what about arbors and such, or do i have to order them with exact measurements to where i set them so they fit properly?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: exposed blank reel seats
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 08, 2009 03:34AM

Bobby
I'm guessing you are going to use "skeleton" reel seats = basically the top / bottom sections of a normal reel seat with the center removed? If so then the best bet is to slide the two parts onto the rod blank & get the reel (or similar reel) that you will be using on the rod to find the distance between the two halves - one half will have the screw down section to allow adjustment for the reel foot. I would use a hard foam arbor and either glue the arbors to the blank or to the inside of the two halves of the reel seat. I think this is the least messy/cleanest way to mount open center (skeleton) reel seats. Is this what you had in mind?

Date: October 08, 2009 05:50AM

the ones I am looking at are made by Fuji. they are similar to the ones used on the carrot stix.. if you have seen them. From thier appearance it looks like they would need to be tight against the blank, but i dont know....

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 08, 2009 07:09AM

Bobby the "creating" of a two piece seat requires a little work and understanding to get it right. There are many options. If you use a Fuji you will be required to arbor the front end properly and do some trim work and fitting to be sure the distance is correct. If you purchase a two piece seat you may deal with a rear slot reel jump during use, arboring the front end and having the front foot of the reel sitting on threads. There is one more option that will provide a secure rear slot, the reel sitting on a flat and a weight reduction of approximately 30%. I would only consider this option for blanks that are 12.5 or larger - the small ones are uncomfortable in hand - take a look - note the marked "measureing stick" to get the length properly set.

These seats fit up front and require no arbor -

[www.rodbuilding.org]

If you are looking for a maximum exposure seat design take a look at the seats and suggested modifications to make a two piece.available from Swampland listed on the left.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

If you need some help use the contact us button at: [www.swamplandtackle.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2009 08:48AM by Bill Stevens.

Date: October 08, 2009 10:48PM

Mr. Stevens,
Thank you for your input and sharing those seats with me. I am relatively new to rod building, and am begining to see just how much i have to learn. i will play with some differant ideas, and see what i can come up with. i wanted to build one like this after seeing a Carrot Stix. I like the feel of these rods, and think i can build myself a high end rod similar to those. so i am going to be playing with differant ideas. I have a few reel seats laying around the house, so i think the dremel tool is about to be put to use now..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster