I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NERBs Gathering Topics
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 07, 2009 10:10AM

HEre are the current topics that will be covered in depth at this Saturdays' Staten ISland NERBs gathering. TEHre is still space for anyone who isinterested.

Advanced Dec Wrap techniques - I will be sharing my secrets on taking a pattern that takes most people 6+ hours, and getting it wrapped in 2-3 hours. RAthr than bore people with words, I will have a wrap half completed and show exactly what I do - packing, laying threads, tension, spacing >> I am guaranteeing that anyone who attends this gathering and trusts me and does what I say to do, will reduce their time spent on a wrap by at least 33% (I did the math, even though I can't spell, lol), and will have a much easier time getting the wraps completed.

How to Grip Inlay A to Z - I will pull out my stash of secret info form my archives, and beleive me there is a LOT of it. I will show how to construct a grip, and have a ton ideas which will hopefully open up people's imagination to try some of these techniques on their rods. I've only shared my archives with 3 people, and tehy've been blown away by the amount of research I've done, and how much cool stuff I have laying around. THere is a chance that I will construct a grip and raffle it off at teh gathering.

IF anyone is interested in attending, let me know, along with what other topics you would like to hear about.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NERBs Gathering Topics
Posted by: Ken Bonneau (---.dalecarnegie.com)
Date: October 07, 2009 11:12AM

I was lucky enough to spend a day in Billy's shop over the summer and I walked away a much better builder than I was when I walked in. The shop is well set up and I was bowled over by Billy's willingness to share his wealth of knowledge selecting the proper blank, guide layout , assembly, thread art and the black art of grip inlays. I've been building since '89 and I thought I knew a fair amount about the art of rod building but I walked away with my head spinning. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks or at least Billy can. If you have the time, I would highly recommend attending as many NERB's gatherings as you can make and I would highly recommed the 10/10 gathering in Billy's shop, this one shouldn't be missed! Anyone interested in grip art is in for a treat. Billy's "Grip Secrets" will rock your world. The research, trial and error and innovation that he has put into developing his grip art is incredible. Ton's of information and he's so willing to share.........

Re: NERBs Gathering Topics
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 07, 2009 01:34PM

It's always nice to know people appreciate the info shared at these events, as well as a random stopover - everyone who has stopped over knows how a 10 minute pick up turns into a 3 hour "WOW, I dind't know that" session, lol. The grip stuff that I showed to Ken I've been apprehensive about sharing with too many people, I'm afraid that the info overload will scare them off Dec GRips. Fortunately there is a nice group of guys showing up on Saturday who have all done some sort of grip inlay work, and I think they will really benefit from teh info I'm preparing to share with them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster