I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Off Topic Fly Fishing in FL
Posted by: Joe Hall (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 06, 2009 01:37PM

I will be going to Fl in the near future and would like to know what size fly rod and how far do I need to cast for the fish that are there?
I really only want to catch 3 kinds of fish, a Permit, a Dolphin Fish, and last but not least any kind of shark in the 2-4 foot range. All others will be bonus fish.
I'll be in Orlando and will be visiting Mud Hole and going to the ocean straight across from there, Indian River Bay, in that area.
Any info for the area and type of fish, and any thing else you can help me with will be greatly appreciated.

TO SAVE BOARD SPACE PLEASE EMAIL ME.

Sorry email was hidden now it's on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2009 02:48PM by Joe Hall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off Topic Fly Fishing in FL
Posted by: John Zarski (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 06, 2009 01:44PM

Hey Joe, You will be in my neck of the woods. I am right on the east coat on the Indian River. Town Called Melbourne. Drop me a email when you are going to be here, see if I can't get something together for you.

John

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 06, 2009 03:19PM

Standard inshore rod is an 8wt. It will handle most all the fish and will throw big enough flies in the wind. I would pair it with a reel with a decent drag and a weight forward floating line.

In the Indian River area, you are most likely going to find redfish, trout and maybe snook inshore, as well as, small shark. For dolphin, you will have to go offshore and would likely need a heavier rod. I think it is a little too far north for Permit on a fly rod.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 06, 2009 03:43PM

Bob Riggins Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I think it is a little too far
> north for Permit on a fly rod.

Unless you can cast to Miami.
A 6 or 7 weight should be fine for redfish, trout and the possible snook (there's not many in da 'goon).

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 06, 2009 05:09PM

If you could depend upon no wind and plan on using fly's that are not of any size then a 6 wt would work but in all honesty I always plan on trying to use a 7wt and then if there is any wind I end up going to an 8 wt. And a WF floating line is fine for the flats but if you have to fish some deeper water (which is common in the late fall and winter) you may want to have a sinking line or light sink tip. And there are Snook in the Indian River if you know where to look but you will want a 7' - 7'6" rod to fish them. The 9' is just too long.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 07, 2009 12:04AM

I'm also on the Indian River (actually between the Indian and the Banana rivers) on Merritt Island (home to the Kennedy Space Center.
Most of my clients use 7 and 8 wt rods...a few use 10 wt. At this time of year there are fair size tarpon in the rivers, as well as some reds pushing 50 lbs. As a wise man once said, don't show up at a gun fight armed only with a knife.

Posted by: kent jones (---.stmae.com)
Date: October 13, 2009 10:35AM

i use a 10 weight most of the time and some times a 12 when i fish in the open water. a 4 ft bull shark will tear up a much lighter rod unless you have a lot ov backing

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster