I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

whats the norm?
Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: October 05, 2009 01:06AM

Good evening all,
I have a question as to what is the 'norm' for fishing a hard bait such as a lucky craft flash minnow 110sp. It is 4.5", 5/8 oz., suspending and swims at 5 or so feet (I think).
The reason that I ask this is because I fish the surf in SoCal with relatively light tackle - 15lb braid - and when I carolina rig a sand crab or sand worm, I use 4-6 lb leader and a 1/4 to 1/2 oz. sliding sinker depending on the size of the shorebreak or amount of current.. I use one rod for both applications.
I have read posts concerning crankbaits and noticed that a moderate to mod-fast action blank is used. The only difference is that I rarely just turn the handle..........I crank a few times to get it down then use kind of a jerk / twitch motion. Only the VERY begining of my retrieve is in water that is deeper than 4 feet, the rest of the time I'm working the bait near the bottom in quite shallow water - sometimes getting bit in less than 10 inches of water - the 'skinny'.
So, what are some recomendations for a blank that can pull double duty? 8.5'+ is a must. BTW I use a curado 200E.

Edit: the reason I need to use one rod for both apps is because I stand in the water and work the entire stretch of beach. I have to switch back and forth depending on the fish I see and what they will eat. I can tie a fast knot and my rigs fit in my pocket of my surf trunks, but I dont have anywhere to put a second rod. I've seen those holsters, but the larger shore break will certainly pitch em'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2009 04:05AM by Steven Loughery.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: whats the norm?
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 05, 2009 09:22AM

I don't know if there is a "norm" but I believe a Rainshadow Surf blank (either 1023 or 1083) will do the job for you. Maybe one of the folks from Batson Enterprises will chime in on which is the better of the two

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 05, 2009 09:22AM

How about an 7'6" to 8' popping or crankbait blank extended to the length you'd like.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 05, 2009 10:53AM

Curious -

" 8.5'+ is a must "

What is the specific requirement - is it just a like or a specific reason why?

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: October 05, 2009 02:04PM

Contact Karry Batson at Batson rainshadow. Karry is vary familiar with S CA fishing

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 05, 2009 03:35PM

Robert, thats almost what im using now, kinda. And it might be the route i continue to use.

Bill, glad you chimed in. The length is for a number of reasons, wether or not my reasoning is correct, I'm not sure.

I'm assuming that I'm getting more distance in casting, I know there is only so far I can get that hard bait to go with its aerodynamic properties. Especially with the prevalent on shore wind in my face. I know that it does help with my carolina rigs.

I'm able to get my line up in the air, over the top of breaking waves, allowing me to keep my bait in an area longer and losing less time without contact (feel) of my bait. Keeping my rod tip high also keeps my hard baits off the bottom when I get into the skinny water.

I always have the possibility of hooking into fish that are MUCH larger than the usual suspects: 40+ pound sharks, 15-20+ pound halibut, and the ever elusive White Ghost - the White Seabass that I have personaly seen just outside the surfline at 35-60+ pounds. With my 15lb braid I can pack quite a bit onto the new curado and I THINK that the longer rod will help me in playing the fish. My reasoning is that the longer length of the blank will allow for more shock resistance.

Also, with the flashminnows, I like to change the direction of retrieve by putting the tip to the left then right.

A while back I bought a dozen or so of your close-out blanks, the MB 845 and 842. they have been a big hit among my friends fishing inshore salt - bays and such. I also recieved 1 or 2 of the IP 842's. Well I broke an MB845 just over 36" from the butt. I wrapped and epoxied a layer of D thread at the tip and slid my last IP842 right on top. perfect fit, perfect rod for what I like to do. now, I'm trying to recreate what I have.

I know I'm long winded, Thanks for your time all,
Steven

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 05, 2009 03:59PM

Bill: one more thing,
Do you recall the action of the SWR IP-842? specs are 8-14lb, L pwr 1/4-5/8oz.
to me it seems moderate.
Iknow I efectively made a faster action by adding about 30 inches.
However, what would be the benefit of going with a faster action????? I know I would lose some of my fish fighting shock resistance that I have know.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 05, 2009 06:04PM

Thanks Stephen: The details sure change my intended reply to your initial post quite quickly.

I will slink quietly away into the fog -

I had plans to suggest the highly popular Castaway XP3 eight foot crank bait blanks that Swampland has in stock. We are selling the 963, 964 and 965 rigged with micros for bass crankbait and inshore use for speckled trout and redfish0. Your description of shark, hallibut and Ghost puts me in my place quickly - like the tag line in the movie Jaws - Get A Bigger Blank! - appears to be highly appropriate!

Take a look at the BB1 and BB2 - you may find another jewel in the rough for you use. The BB2, a heavy duty bass flipping stick and punch rod, has been used for grouper.

I wish we could get our hands on more of the Castaway IP 842s - We sold out and Castaway did not reorder - John Ballard in North Carolina emptied our trailer - he trims butts, trims tips and adds extensions to build a miriad of bass task specific rods.

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: October 05, 2009 11:16PM

Thanks Bill,
Ya, I know.......bigger blank......but it really takes the fun out of all the dinks I catch 90% of the time. It is just one of those things that happen when you try to stretch a blank across too broad of a spectrum.
Believe it or not, the 845 butt with the IP842 on top really does a bang up job on the larger species. I've caught a 17lb halibut and plenty of 40lb sharks with that set up. Best of all, it is still a blast catching surf perch and corbina. Kind of the best of both worlds. But a big White Seabass.......forget about it.
I actually have been eyeing both the Big Show blanks. BB1 for plastics locally and the BB2 for plastics fishin boiler rocks at our offshore islands for bass that like to take you right back into thier rocky homes. I would imagine similar to the stuff you guys do yanking bass out of structure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster