I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank for hard jerkbaits?
Posted by: Michael Briglia (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 03, 2009 01:40PM

I am new to the site, so I apologize for any newbie mistakes I might make. Last weekend, I dropped a favorite rod overboard. It had been made for me by "DANCO" about 8 years ago. It was a Loomis CB843 blank, cut down to 6'4" and built into a spinning rod. I loved it for 4" to 5" hard jerkbaits like a Slender Poinder 112.

Is there a blank out there that you would recommend as a replacement? As an interim measure, I bought a 6'6" Tidemaster Inshore from St. Croix that is rated for 1/4 to 5/8 oz. baits and 8 to 17 lb. line. It has a moderate action and medium power. If I really like the rod, I'll probably get the blank and have a custom rod built as well. All of my dealings with St. Croix have been great over the past decade.

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2009 01:47PM by Michael Briglia.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank for hard jerkbaits?
Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.119.40.69.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 03, 2009 02:46PM

Understanding that I am biased towards lighter rods, I made myself a Rainshadow IC722 for this application. It works better than anything I've ever used. It's a bit shorter than what you had, at 6', but it has a wonderful feel.

Re: Blank for hard jerkbaits?
Posted by: Bill Tune (---.wasco-inc.com)
Date: October 05, 2009 12:37PM

To me picking a jerk bait blank is one of the more difficult ones to chooze! Some folks want a stiff blank so the slightest tug will pop the bait and a hard jerk will really make it jump. Others want the rod to give when jerked to prevent overworking. Based on your previous rod looks like you prefer the moderate action so you might want to look at the Croix 3C66 or 70MM or the 4C66 or 70 MF. The 3's are listed as moderate and the 4C's as fast action. The next step up in the Croix blanks is a pretty big jump in power but works well with the 100 sized jerks and up. I built the 3C70MM last year and it is becomming one of my go to rods for pretty much all medium and small cranks and jerk baits. Take a couple of inches off the 66 and you will have a 6'4" blank that will come out very light and handy!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster