I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newbie to rod biulding
Posted by: Heath Boeddeker (---.runestone.stellarllc.net)
Date: September 14, 2009 04:25PM

Howdy to all,

I am very new to rod building and this Forum. I have been looking at the Forum for a few days already and have gained much knowledge or the hobby already Thank You for the Great Gorum and knowledge contain here. I have gained the the plans for the rod wrapping stand through the Library .And will be building that today or tomorrow since I have ordered a rod kit through www.jannsnetcraft.com and it should ship today. It is a Two peice medium light action Blank . And with the knowledge that I have obtained within this Forum I have the confidence that I will be able to put the kit together and have a good first build rod .So again Thank you for all of the Knowledge gained through this Forum. I have a bunch of OLD fiberglass and steel rods that I hope to repair/restore once I have some of the other supplies that I ordered also from Jannsnetcraft when they arrive. I live in Urban Minnesota and i'm also thinking of starting a rod and reel repair business in my spare time .

And now for my Question. Has anybody dealt with Jannsnetcraft and they Blanks they sell in there Kits and are they good /decent blanks for a first time rod builder ?

Again Thank you All for the GREAT knowledge ,
Heath

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie to rod biulding
Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 14, 2009 06:29PM

We have in the past. Their kits are fine. Good start for you. Also check out Midwest Rod and Reel. They are in your area.
Also look at Mudhole. They have good kits.
All of these are sponsors to this forum. This forum has a lot of experience, nd just good helpful people. I have only been around less than a year as a member. But it is the best rod forum there is. IMO. The sponsors are fantastic. Great products, as you will come to find out.
Kyle Robinson

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: September 14, 2009 06:33PM

I've dealt with Jann's for as long as I can remember. They were a small shop on the side streets of Toledo when I started building. Now they have a big place of the turnpike. The one thing they never lost was customer service. i drive past Janns about twice a month and i can't count the times i've called an order in from the car and 20 min later it was waiting for me at the desk.
Good products, Good service and they can special order if you ask. The kits are a good quality for someone starting out. I just bought 4 of them to build up as a gift for our local assisted living center. The residents go out to a local stocked pond a few times a year so I thought it was a good gift.
Fred at Jann's is very helpful when it comes to rod building.
I do think that after a few "kit" rods you will be ordering a la carte from jann's or one of the other great sponsors on the left.
Welcome to the addiction!

Date: September 14, 2009 08:28PM

Howdy Kyle,

I have been looking at Midwest Rod and Reels Website. Yeah they are only about 3 1/2 hours from me . I went with the kit from jannscraft cause of some other things that I thought would be helpful to my cause of starting out ...LOL.

Thank you for help,
Heath

Date: September 14, 2009 08:32PM

Howdy to the Ohio Connection,

Thank you for your input about Jannsnetcrafts Kits. I am sure that I will be ordering more stuff from them and others .

Thank you for Welcoming me to the Addiction also .

Heath

Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (64.122.91.---)
Date: September 14, 2009 08:59PM

HI HEATH...ANYTIME YOU NEED SOME HELP ....JUST GIVE US A CALL ...WE WILL HELP YOU OUT ALL WE CAN...GOOD LUCK ON THE FRIST BUILD

Bill@midwestrodandreel.com
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 14, 2009 09:00PM

My dad dealt with Netcraft when I was 10 years old. That would be 48 years ago. I have never used their blanks, but they have decent pricing on quality components from Fuji, Pac Bay and Alps. They ship quickly and run weekly specials.
What you won't get is the personal attention available from most of the smaller sponsors here. And Mudhole, far from a small supplier, provides personal advice...just ask.

Date: September 14, 2009 09:14PM

Howdy Bill,

Thank you I will keep that in mind and I hope to do business with you in the future .

Heath

Date: September 14, 2009 09:21PM

Howdy Gary ,

For my First Rod build I was looking for a farily cheap kit that seemed to have all the componets that I would need .Plus I liked the price of there spools of Thread wrap that I ordered acouple of for guide rewraps of older rods. When compared to other sites that I looked at .What I would like to find is a shop that could supply me with the things I need fairly Close to me ( 30 minutes to an hour ) from me but so far no luck . But with research and This Great Forum I am sure I will in the near future find all I am looking for .Plus the Great sponors that I hope to deal with in the furture also .

Heath

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster