I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

multi-section rods vs one piece
Posted by: BILL Gray (---.att.net)
Date: September 12, 2009 10:07AM

Does a one piece rod retain the parabolic curve better than a multi-section rod.
I hope paroblic is the correct word.
Another way would be does it effect the sensivity of the rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: multi-section rods vs one piece
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: September 12, 2009 10:31AM

Properly designed multi-piece rods can hold their own against any one-piece IMO in ALL respects. IF that weren't the case, there would surely be some mighty upset fly anglers at this point.

My personal preference is for multi-piece rods whenever possible - I actually wish that there were more choices in the spinning/casting categories.

Consider that well over 90% of all rod damage comes from transport or storage related issues ... multi-piece resolves those issues in the quick few sections it takes to disassemble and insert the sections into a case. Transportation of blanks/rods is less expensive, they are easier to wrap AND warranty work becomes a much easier (and tolerable) process.

As far as sensitivity goes ... IMO there is no discernible loss in the hands of an angler. I suppose if one had the proper instrumentation, a slight loss could be determined via mechanical tests.

In my experience, IF you can get an angler to try and REALLY use a multi-piece for a few weekends ... they will become converts.

Jim -

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: September 12, 2009 11:33AM

I use both one and multi piece rods. I wholeheartedly agree with Jim.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 12, 2009 12:12PM

Good ferrules flex with the rod.

Modern ferrule design has come a long way. If you were to blindfold most angers and hand them a multi-piece rod they'd never know it wasn't a 1-piece model.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 12, 2009 06:16PM

Most rod builders/designers will admit that they can build a "better" blank in 2 pcs vs 4pcs. Last two I asked were Stephen Pratt of CTS and John Boyle of North Fork blanks. The trend has just started to turn to minimun # of pieces - unless you need it to travel. Many of my next shipment of blanks will be 2pc.
Herb

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.212.42.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: September 12, 2009 09:30PM

The people who do the best with multi-piece rods are the rod manufacturers.
They reap the benefits of reduced scrap, greater manufacture flexibility, lower cost shipping, lower cost storage, reduced tooling costs and they get to charge more for a product thats heavier and less sensitive.
Connection devices are not 100% efficient at transmitting energy.

Date: September 12, 2009 10:11PM

No they're not, but no human hand is going to be able to tell the difference.

Multi-piece rods are more expensive to build - good tip over butt ferrules require the blank be made on separate mandrels. In order to maintain a good continuity of properties across the ferrule area, the diameters and wall thickness of the blank at those points have to carefully altered. Although more expensive to design and tool, costs can be recouped over a long production run.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 13, 2009 09:56AM

Gene -
I must respectfully disagree with you on costs for multipiece rods as regards reduced "scrap". Perhaps one of the folks who have blank design (and costing) background such as Todd Vivian will read and respond.

Date: September 13, 2009 10:16AM

In effect, a 2 piece rod nearly doubles your cost over a 1-piece model. It is, for all intents and purposes, 2 separate rod blanks. Each time you add another piece, you are building another blank. Even after recovering the tooling costs, you always have the additional labor involved in building multi-piece rods. This is one of the primary reasons they carry a higher price tag.

The days of cutting a 1-piece blank into sections and then installing spigots is long gone for most companies.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: September 13, 2009 11:58PM

Multipiece does weigh more for the same length/action. Depending on what type of your blank, it can be noticeable.

I favor one piece myself but transporting long one piece is a bit problematic.

Mo

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 29, 2009 06:29PM

"The people who do the best with multiple piece rods are the manufacuturers"

I do the best with multiple piece rods because they are a heck of a lot easier to wind than one piece rods. And I really cannot tell the difference in performance. The only advantage I can see for one piece rods is that you never have to align the guides. Once wound, they are always right. Small advantage, in my opinion. My opinion is limited to fresh water rods of 9 feet or less length. If there are other factors at work on the surf rods and other long rods, I'm not qualified to comment.

When I travel, I would much rather have one of my rods, in multiple pieces, than have to rely on outfitters who promise quality tackle but when you get there, they have junk. And I cannot imagine traveling with 7 foot plus one piece rods these days.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster