I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which graphite rod is best from the two?
Posted by: Danny Condruti (---.sprint.com)
Date: September 07, 2009 01:51PM

Hello all,

I have finished my first rod, a Seeker CJB90F for general fishing. In the near future I plan to build a new rod, all graphite, no E or S glass incorporated. After intense reading and comparing, I have found two rod blanks that would fit my needs:

United Composites-USA (Graphite USA) - B85MAG
Batson Rainshadow - SW1088

I am looking for a 100% graphite rod without the graphite/E glass splicing like the Seeker rod. The new rod will be used for lake (shore and boat) fishing and ocean (pier and surf) fishing. One very important factor, the rod MUST be able to lift straight up 20-25 lb. I will be throwing jigs and sinkers in the range of 1-3 oz. I like a rod that is a bit stiff, not a buggy whip type. I saw the article about the strength of the double helix concept rod from Graphite USA, but looking at the picture of the rod, looks like is spliced with something as well. The Seeker rod fits the need just right but I want a rod that looks different.

If you have built or used any of the two mentioned rod blanks, please share your opinion. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which graphite rod is best from the two?
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.61.---)
Date: September 07, 2009 07:12PM

I would call Karry Batsob and get his input. this same goes for USA. The double Helix is old school it has been around awhile. Powell rods were using it back in the early or mid 80's. The rods weigh a little more. I had a Powell Helix 10 wt. fly rod years ago it was much heaver than a standard 10 wt. graphite rod at that time

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 07, 2009 11:00PM

Rods needed to dead lift that much weight should not be all graphite. TEhy are not designed for that and if you make one mistake the rod will break.

Posted by: Curtis Beers (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 08, 2009 06:47AM

Graphite USA is no more. They went Tango Uniform some time ago and have been bought by United Composites USA.
Take good care of the blank you have because a warranty is out of the picture.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 08, 2009 08:36AM

The only other blank I think even capable of something like this is a St Croix 2M79XXXH, 65-100#, but I'm 100% with Billy on this.

Deadlifts are better left to composites. Another option is tot ake a look at jigging master's 8' stuff.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: September 08, 2009 08:49AM

Lamiglas Tri-Flex blanks are composites that are not spliced. Tip to toe blended fabrics. They are VERY strong and durable. Call Todd at Mud Hole, he designed them and can help you with the various models.

Date: September 08, 2009 11:24AM

Thank you all for the imputs. Can somebody tell me more about the United Composites-USA (Graphite USA) - B85MAG?

Posted by: Curtis Beers (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 08, 2009 11:54AM

United Composites blanks are currently being sold by Charkbait only as far as I know.
They are in the process of getting up to speed after GUSA had things less than optimum towards the end when they went under.
They do not offer exactly the same line up as GUSA did but I think they are probably pretty close to what used to be offered.
Lamiglass also makes some real sweet graphite blanks that deserve a look too.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: September 08, 2009 12:53PM

From our records I have the following information.

The SW1088 flexes at 90 degrees from butt with 11 pounds of weight viced six inches up from butt.

The SW1087 flexes 31 inches down with two pounds of weight viced six inches up from butt.
The SW1088 flexes 27 inches down with two pounds of weight viced six inches up from butt.
The SW1089 flexes 21 inches down with two pounds of weight viced six inches up from butt.

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Date: September 08, 2009 01:14PM

Just talked to Karry and got the info. Thank you very much, super helpfull guy.
I will stay with SW1088 blank for my future rod build, towards the winter (summer in Arizone, winter elsewere...)

Please keep the internet green!
Recycle electrons.

Date: September 08, 2009 05:46PM

Kerry is the man with the correct info

Good Wraps Bob

Date: September 08, 2009 08:33PM

One more question please regarding the SW1088 blank:
The butt grip will be either 12" or 14" Hypalon 11/16" ID foam and for the foregrip I will be useing a 10" Hypalon foam but which size? 1/2" or 11/16" ID?. I will be geting them from Mud Hole.

Please keep the internet green!
Recycle electrons.

Date: September 08, 2009 09:14PM

If you are getting the blank from MH ask them to match all the parts. If you have never installed a foam grip be fore do a search. Foam well stretch. What you do is have a mixture of denatured alcohol, water and couple drops of Joy/Dawn dish soap. this is for clean up. Now, I use Rod Bond mix up your bonding agent. Next take the grip and let it free fall down the rod. Where it stops mark 4 inches above the grip, I use a china marker to mark the blank. Remove. Now take the mix and smear it on the blank from the mark down. I use cheap surgical gloves. I place a glob of mix on a glove and spread it on the blank. Next place the grip on the rod and let it free fall into the bond mix slowly turn the grip and lubricate the grip. Next bring up the grip to where it is above the bond mix, using your thumb and fore finger pinch hard the vary top of the grip. Now in one motion slide the grip down to where you want it. DO NOT STOP!!! After the grip is in place, Use the liquid mix to clean up all the bonding agent from the blank and grip

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster