I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shorten Reel Seat
Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: September 07, 2009 11:48AM

Nothing new under the sun, and a search using the topic header brought up no results. Generic reel seats, or named ones are of a length
that accomodates every reel foot on the planet. Ergo: an 18mm trigger seat from Fuji, after a small baitcaster's let in and snugged down, will show about an inch of threads before the cork starts.

I find this unattractive, and reduce the threads showing to about half that. Just barely enough to let the reel in, and tighten. I used to saw off the excess threads, but I found another way. I now ream the butting cork to a size that actually uses the threads of the reel seat to seat itself.

I install the reel seat, insert a reel, screw down the cork ring until the threads are covered and still permitting the reel to come away.
I then remove the ring, noting its position, paint the first 2 threads with RodBond, and put the ring back. Checking to see that the reel will still come away. Adjustment can be taken by moving the ring up or down on the threads. The RB won't be cured till the next day.

Then the rest of the foregrip is bonded and the rod goes to the lathe for shaping.

I suppose if one was careful, one could do a prefinished grip this way, but I don't use those. I always have trouble with the last ring being oversized from the file job, and have to resort to a winding check. I don't use those things.

(edits were typos. no spelczech)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2009 11:20AM by Ken Driedger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shorten Reel Seat
Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 07, 2009 04:46PM

Very clever--good idea.

Re: Shorten Reel Seat
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: September 08, 2009 07:40AM

Neat idea as long as you are going to have a foregrip, I like it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster