I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flutter Spoon Rod
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: August 16, 2009 08:59PM

Haven't fished one much myself. Maybe some of you Texas boys (where it originated) can elaborate on the best characteristics for a flutter spoon rod...

Thanks!

-----------------
AD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flutter Spoon Rod
Posted by: Kyle Jud (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: August 16, 2009 09:15PM

I like fishing a big flutter spoon on ledges where there's not too much to hang up on or have to pull fish out of. I like a light blank with a stiff midsection and a pretty fast action and soft tip. For me, an RX8 XSB 843 would fit the bill well... I've heard of guys fishing docks with a big spoon down here. I havn't done that except on deep floating docks, but I would think you'd want to go pretty heavy if you're spooning around any cover.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 16, 2009 09:33PM

With the Spaits spoons weighing about 1.25 oz. I've been using Shikari’s 764X pitching rods for a couple of years.
They work great with enough back bone to handle the weight and set the hook effectively at long distances. Yet the moderate action allows the spoon to work and gives the bass a little more leeway to inhale the bait then a fast action blank.

I know you can't get the Shikari any more, but my suggestion is to use a blank of similar capabilities.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 17, 2009 09:44AM

In Tejas this is a big boy bait for big fish - not exactly a finesse type presentation at Falcon -

[www.amistadtackle.com]

If working all day balance the heavy duty rod out -

Castaway XP3 905 or BB1

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: August 17, 2009 10:20AM

Long and strong are the important traits. Watch the Bassmaster coverage from Kentucky Lake where they were fishing those, you will be shocked how aggressively they were sweeping the rod with each stroke. Plus you need to be able to take up a lot of line to get a good hook set. A 7’6” flippin stick is probably the best option, the only other blanks I might consider would be a back bounce which has a lot of power but a much lighter tip than a flippin stick.

I have a tournament on Watts Bar in September where I plan to try those spoons. I didn’t realize that Swampland had any of the BB1 blanks left but I think that is what I am going to build for myself.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 17, 2009 10:31AM

Mike the response to the BB series of blanks was quite high. The original purchase of these special order blanks, specifically ordered by an Elite, was offered by Castaway to custom builders at the ICRBE to clear out their stock. This blank has become the choice blank for flipping sticks and punch rods for many custom builders. They are now in stock in both models. The one comment that comes back the most is that they have "this blank has some tip" which is often needed in a flipping stick.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster