I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy, Decals, and help from Rodbuilding.org…
Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: August 14, 2009 12:05PM

When I first started building a couple of years ago I had some bad experiences with epoxy finish, who doesn’t when you are starting out? I searched for an alternative and found Diamondite, the Diamondite was nearly foolproof, just brush it on and it would cover and level perfectly every time. The only problem was the occasional blush or cloudiness if the rod got wet, it was somewhat unpredictable which rods would be effected but it seems to happen if the rod gets wet before the Diamondite has cured for at least a couple of weeks. I decided that I couldn’t risk that problem anymore so I got some TM lite and decided to learn how to use it. My first coat of TM lite was a complete disaster, dry spots, lumps, bubbles, and about everything that could go wrong. I thought back to all of the advice offered on this board about getting perfect epoxy finish that I had mostly ignored because I was getting fine results with Diamondite. I ended up incorporating advice received here, such as hand turning and wicking off the excess, using a spatula to apply the epoxy over large areas like decals, and using a straw to blow bubbles out of the finish. Now I am getting finishes even better than I was getting with Diamondite, thanks to all of the good advice I received here.

Now I will pay back with a tip of my own. I recently had one of the “electric decals” lift when I was putting epoxy over it, as you can guess this made a huge mess and was a pain to fix. In the original article Tom wrote about a technique to wrap the decal with paper and thread to make sure it was very well stuck down before you put the finish on. That would work fine, but I got great results using surveyors ribbon to hold the decal down. The surveyors ribbon is very non stick and very stretchy, just wrap it tightly over the decal and let it sit for a couple of hours. The tape is very inexpensive and a lot of us probably already have some on hand.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy, Decals, and help from Rodbuilding.org…
Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.c002.t7.mrt.starband.net)
Date: August 14, 2009 01:04PM

I use Saran wrap (without wrinkles) to smooth down reinforced epoxy patches on canoes & boats with great success.

Re: Epoxy, Decals, and help from Rodbuilding.org…
Posted by: Greg Weaver (12.54.128.---)
Date: August 15, 2009 01:05AM

Bill, I believe that Mike is using the tape to wrap the decal and let it sit before putting any finish on the decal. If I'm correct, you are using the saran wrap to smooth out the epoxy before it cures.?.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster