I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NAFTA Fly Reel Foot Standards.
Posted by: Earl Hamilton (121.54.92.---)
Date: August 07, 2009 11:27AM

What are the NAFTA standards for fly reel feet ?
This is a side track from my former post that I fear may get berried in the depths, regarding fly reel foot and reel seat fitting.
Tom, you wrote in my post that fly reels don't have standardized feet size. I would tend to agree with that, but I read elswhere that NAFTA do have standards, and some of the reel seat manufacturers support this by way of fact that in their description of products that their product is manufactured in accordance with NAFTA standards.
Well what are these standards? A bit ofresearch on Google did uncover some info fly reel foot dimensions; According to these standards the angle of rise should be 7degrees with a tolerance of +/- 1.5 degrees, and inside radius of the foot R0.350" +/-0.20" for Standard and R0.435" +/- 0.15" for Spey. Standard length for the fly reel foot is at L2.5" +/-0.10". I have not found anything on width or thickness. I certainly dont find anything easily as that little bit of information was the cumulation of three seperate articles from three different scources.
When speaking directly to manufacturers of fly reels and fly rod reel seats, niether could tell me which reels fitted which seats. I was merely informed that their products met industry standards. And on speaking with the retailers, they too did not know, but could only make a suggestion as to what should fit which.
When choosing a reel seat for a given fly reel model from the many fly specific offerings available to us, I see very little to inform me of what sized reel or model fits which reel seat other than suggested use and length x ID x OD of the reel seat. This led me to spending $80 on reel seats that do not fit the reel despite the fact I called the manufacturers of the reel, and the reel seat, and under the suggestion of the vendor made my decision. All three proffesional parties are very reputable companies, and I find no fault with any of them as they were all very courtiuos and helpful. I don't consider myself a begginer and feel I am fairly well informed, but despite the input of well informed people the mistake was still made. In this case it would cost as much to return the reel seats to change as buying them in the first place.
My point here is that there seems to be a lot of confusion as to what fits what, and how are we to discerne this if we dint have any information to guide us.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NAFTA Fly Reel Foot Standards.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 07, 2009 11:34AM

The nylon/graphite seats will securely fit and hold nearly any fly reel foot. But this is not the case with most of the aluminum, nickel and other metal type seats.

Over the years there have been meetings at the annual AFFTA convention requesting a standard for all fly reel feet, which would then hopefully lead to standards among fly reel seat makers. Unless something has not only been recently adopted, but also accepted and implemented by the reel makers, I'm afraid you're apt to find that some fly reels just won't fit more than a small number of reel seats. And it's as much a problem with the taper of the feet as it is with length and/or width.

I haven't kept up with the very latest on the issue of standardized fly reel feet so this is about all I can offer.

Posted by: Larry Lohkamp (---.211.255.206.cable.srcy.cablelynx.com)
Date: August 07, 2009 12:24PM

The AFFTA has a reel foot standard rather than a seat standard. The drawing is available at
[www.affta.com]
All of the dimensions, including thickness and width are in the drawing.

Standardizing the foot allows seat makers to come up with whatever cool mechanism they fancy. The rub comes when you are dealing with older reels or reels manufactured in foreign countries that do not follow the standard. My Chinese manufactured reels are pretty good, but the India manufactured ones are on the small side. It doesn't seem to matter if its a hardware store reel or a mid level product. I have a Cortland reel that falls off of some of my rods and some @#$%& site specials that cost a third and fit all of my seats... so it may not be the seat manufacturers fault.

Making a top level bamboo fly rod and having the customers reel fall off just mucks up you day big time.

Larry

Date: August 07, 2009 12:26PM

That little bit of information I have posted was only researched just before I wrote the post, so I dont think there is much out there. What puzzles me is that the manufacturers claim to be using these standards, but they nor anyone else cares to explain these standards, and they are not given as information within the product listings.
The graphite seats are really great, but unfortunately for some they are not the most esthetic component. We go to alot of trouble with guides, cork burls, winding checks, blank colors and good threadwork but the graphite seat just deosnt make it on looks.

Date: August 07, 2009 12:46PM

Thanks for clearing that up Larry, thats good to see and I now stand informed. The reel I have does have a foot that conform to the specs given by AFFTA, but the model reel seats I bought, a newish product, manufactured by a highly respected manufacturer does not fit , and its suggested usage would indicate that it should-nor did the vendor, whom also is highly respected know that the model reel seat would fit the reel as there was no indication as to what was suitable for which other than suggested use. The puzzlement comes from the fact that both products are manufactured by very well known and highly respected manufacturers situated in the US and both at the forefront in their fields can still cause confusion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2009 12:52PM by Earl Hamilton.

Date: August 07, 2009 12:49PM

Those nylon/graphite seats can be made to look about any way you want with a little creativity. They are easy to skeletonize and modify with inserts, wood, metal, stone, etc. Windows can be easily cut. They can be painted. There are a ton of possibilities for them.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 07, 2009 12:58PM

Earl,
I can see your point, but I fall more towards Tom's point when fishing. The best finish, components, etc. are nice, but if they fail you in anyway, they aren't worth spit.
A pretty rod 400 miles from anywhere that isn't getting the job done wasn't worth the money or effort to buy, build or get it there and it won't impress anybody.

Date: August 07, 2009 01:49PM

Hi Spencer.
I could not agree more with you and Tom-true to the last word, but....... I,m a tart !

For the most part it seems that good manufacturers do their stuff well. My project falls a little outside the run of the mill as its for a #16-#18wt. As such practicle experience and information is more limmited and so the choice of whats made available for the job is somewhat reduced as to whats practical and esthetic. The graphite reel seats are perfect in every way, and even cheaper too, but they just lack appeal to me. What has been a shame is that the manufacturers who offer products that are claimed to be suitible for this and similar projects have not made the information readily available to retailers and the public so we can make an informed decision.

Having just spoken to the maufacturer of the reel seats I have bought for this project, it just may be possible that I can have my way with the beautifull alumium seat, by adding Delrin inserts to the hoods!

Also, thanks to Larry, I am now up to speed on fly feel foot standards, and can now ask informed questions for future projects !!

Date: August 07, 2009 02:22PM

There is one other alternative, maybe. Have you looked at the various aluminum seats sold for spinning rods? You may find that one of those fits your fly reel foot perfectly.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 07, 2009 03:57PM

Earl I have felt your pain - 18 wt is a big big headache!

Big Problem

There are standards that are not followed:

I am unable to paste the next photo of the Abyss Reel which appears next to the one that will come up - take a look at it as well -

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The one on the left came on this high dollor blue water reel - it would not tighten in any seat!

Thank goodness there are those that will help when a custom builder gets in a jam.

This was one fine job by Strubel - they made the part special order in two weeks for the angler.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2009 04:01PM by Bill Stevens.

Date: August 07, 2009 04:03PM

Earl just remembered this thread:

Contact them they possible can help you as well.

[rodbuilding.org]

Date: August 08, 2009 09:44AM

Hi Bill.
Struble are indeed a great company and I always find it a pleasure dealing with them. I did speak to Struble, as its one of their reel seats that is the culprit. Apparently this paricular model, the SDS was designed as a special order for a reel with an oversize foot, which I suspect was a Steelfin Abyss. As a result of the conversation I had with them, they may be making some Delrin inserts to fit into the hoods which should resove the problem. Companies like this are great, and I wish there were more of them.

Date: August 08, 2009 09:58AM

I suspect that it is the same reel - have Struble check the name of Wilson Stevens and the special order dated last year - they should have the design drawings and the part logged in. It actually screws into the posts for the reel. They had it to me in 10 days.

Date: August 08, 2009 10:07AM

Here is the picture of the reel that Struble had in their possession when they made the "standard" part to replace the thing that comes with the reel. The new part is really nice and and fits up quite well on any seat. The rod in the photo is a Loomis and not the custom delivered. The heavy duty use of these fly rods would tend to make me quite leary of plastic inserts and jams - the real problem is the shape of the pipe section that the original is made of - it is not a flush fit to the OD of the seat and can wobble even if the lengths are adjusted - I made inserts that simply did not work.

Click on this link:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Click on my name at the top of this thread and send me an email. I have some stuff that may assist you in getting what you need or use the Control Center at the top of this page and unhide your email address so I can contact you directly via email.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2009 10:10AM by Bill Stevens.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster