I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
M&M 8 Search for the Guilty
Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: August 06, 2009 08:38PM

I have had one of the rods that I built with micro guides come to me with every guide torn off except the two nearest the tip. They were on a 7' avid heavy rod 3C70HF with Batson 3.5's all on top with a 6 ring tip top. All wraps were done with a Forhan locking wrap and then coated with 4 coats of perma gloss.

Supposedly this rod has been used for at least a month of heavy duty fishing yet when he hooked a 8 lbs pike all the guides got torn off. Any guesses as to what really happened or do you think it is possible for 8 out of 10 guides to be ripped out of the thread ?

Any one else have this happen to them??

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2009 12:40PM by Rolly Beenen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro Question
Posted by: Chris Davis (---.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 06, 2009 08:51PM

Rolly-I've had it happen to 2 different rods I built-both flipping sticks-both using braid-both times on hookset on not large fish. Only thing I can figure is braid wrapped around guides and they were snatched out like tieing a string between a bad tooth and a slamming door. 1st rod it was 2nd guide back from the tip and the 2nd rod it was the two guides in front of the butt guide. Only reasonable explanation I could come up with-hard to believe that could happen to more than one or two at a time.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 06, 2009 08:54PM

Did you ask if that pike was in the nose of his rod locker?

Date: August 06, 2009 09:03PM

I don't know but 8 guides at one shot. Man he must of had a jag on not to notice that.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: August 06, 2009 09:13PM

I'm with Jim on his one. Had nothing to do with a fish. A fish pulls the line, at most you end up with 1 MAYBE 2 guides pulling out if braid wraps one and it gets yanked, the 2nd may become distorted, but doesnt usually pull out completely and I'm talking it takes 40-50# grouper to do this damage.

Posted by: les cline (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: August 06, 2009 09:33PM

I've caught plenty of 8-pound pike and they won't do this to a rod's guides....not so many of them!

My guess is that it was damaged by some other means...stepped on...rod locker...load shifted onto rod...envious fisherman with side-cutters...

Is this a warranty issue?

Date: August 06, 2009 09:36PM

I have no problem rewrapping the rod. I just want to know if others out there using micros have this problem??

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Jim Fielding (69.196.211.---)
Date: August 06, 2009 09:44PM

Actually cut a Batson 4.0 (bumper guide on spiral flip stick) off the rod with braid. Unseen wind knot around the bumper - hook set - 2 lb fish- braid cut the quide slick as could be. Clipped it off just above the last locker on the Forhan. The foot stayed attached to the rod. No damage to any following gudies, but did eliminate my habit of fingering the line when flippin with braid. Something weird like this and a hard hookset on an immoveable object might get more than one,

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 06, 2009 09:51PM

It is unlikely that the line wrapped around each and every one of those guides. Most likely, a knot or perhaps the line wrapping around the butt guide and clipping it, then resulted in the remaining guides being too small to pass the obstruction.

It is also possible that it had nothing to do with the line and the guides were ripped out in some other way.

Posted by: Jim Fielding (69.196.211.---)
Date: August 06, 2009 10:38PM

Thanks for clarifying Tom. I thought I had implied the one guide may have taken out a couple more, but don't see it happening without solid mass on the opposing end.

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 06, 2009 10:54PM

I know that rod lockers have taken their share of guides, but in both cases with mine that could not have happend. One is owned by a guy that fishes out of a Fish & Ski-it does not have a rod locker. The other has a rod locker that will not hold a 7 1/2' rod. The scenario Tom described is a possiblity-similar to what I suspect happened-braided line the common denominator. Rolly I am assuming braided line was involved in your case.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: August 07, 2009 12:03AM

I've had one where it happened. Jig hung on bottom. To angler's defense a little, 20 mph winds that day - so harder to control the boat and maneuver to free jig. However, when you bow the rod up as hard as you can, you're asking for something bad to happen.

Point is - line popped with such force it ripped off four guides, damaged two other wraps, and came back and sliced the anglers hand open. Can't believe rod didn't break.

I've posted this before though.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 07, 2009 05:12AM

Rolly;
In more then three years of use I've yet to have a rod come back in from this problem.
But feeding off of what Mr. Davis and Mr. Kirkman have said; it is possible that the line wrapped or knotted around the last guide, ripped it out, then clung to it as the fish stripped out line ripping the remaining guides off.
If that’s the case I don't know that it would mater what size the guides are, would probably have the same results.

It is also possible that if he was using a leader, that his leader knot may have been big enough to cause the same problem. I seem to remember Mike Barkley posting that he had this happen while fighting a stripper.
Seems the knot would pass though with out any problems when casting. But when He had a stripper pulling the line through under pressure it took some of the guides out.
I'm going from memory here so you may want to ask him to clarify that.
I also know that several others are using knots and leaders with out any problems so it could be the size or type of knot also.

I also know that we have two nationally ranked red fish teams using whole sets of micro rods, catching bruiser red fish in tournaments with out any problems. So I’m more inclined to think its one of the situations mentioned above more then the fish mentioned.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2009 05:15AM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 07, 2009 10:02AM

One - wind knot probably

All at same time except the last two is really curious - if they were stripped with a knot it should have gotten all of them - unless the knot lodged in the remaining rings.

This guy holds some information and many of us would like to get the final answer -

Sure would be nice to know the final on this one

Rolly see if you can find out exactly how he was rigged with leader and or knots and any other things that may tip off non fishing damages.

Ask him if the knot was hung in one of the remaining guides same time the others were stripped. - or ask him if when the guides were stripped did he actually turn the fish and reel it in - if so he could have turned the fish before the last got ripped.

I am using Alconite 4.0 for 50# Power Pro/20# fluoro uni knots and ask the fisherman to show me his style of tying a clean slobber knot before I will let a micro out the door that will pass knots effectively. Some do not have the ability to tie a knot that will pass a micro guide at all.

Batson 3.5 has really short foot - Perma Gloss use on regular guide frames requires a tunnel back fill - no tunnel on the micro frames exists - I am using Perma Gloss on many rods and have experienced rods coming back that I was told were pulled loose on hook set - I have four rods that came back with the guide feet separated uner the wrap that were reportedly yanked loose on hookset - this must have occurred with wind knots being present when the hit the fish.

You have run into one of those situations the if the truth is discovered it will help with defining the limitations of the micro rod marketing. If there is a limitation it needs to be out on the table for all. If this is something that is unique to a mistake by the angler it would help to spread the word to keep it from happening again.

I had a team win a cash tournament of speckled trout, flounder and redfish with all micros on top last weekend and the winning total was above 19# all caught on bass type flipping sticks wrapped with micro guides both spiral and all on top. These guys actually brutalize the rods and catch and release Jack Crevaille, Shark and Bull Redfish while seeking the targeted fish with no guide damage.

Posted by: Trinity Lindseth (---.ips.PaulBunyan.net)
Date: August 07, 2009 10:31AM

I have landed 7 muskies this year alone up to 44 inches on a scIII 70hf wrapped with micros, so I doubt that an 8lb northern ripped those guides off unless there was a solid obstruction on the line between the guides and the fish. More likely the rod locker ate them...

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 07, 2009 11:41AM

Bill;
Question on your post
" I have four rods that came back with the guide feet separated under the wrap that were reportedly yanked loose on hookset - this must have occurred with wind knots being present when the hit the fish."

Were those cases with Micro guides or larger guides?

Date: August 07, 2009 12:47PM

Micro - 4.0 - Perma Gloss & Uni knot (no ramp to ring bottom finish flat on top of guide ring - place to grab present). Bobby's style of ramping finish to ring bottom may stop this from occurring -

Posted by: Capt alan beck (---.cor.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: August 07, 2009 06:53PM

guys
i just dont see leader knot doining this i bet it was done in rod locker,as many oversize red s ive caught on bills 963 964 ive yet to loose a guide and i fish customer just about every day so my rods get abused,over the side of boat under it idid get one rod broke in the houlder guy backcast and hit my rod with his and snap!!!!!!!!!!!!! talk about bite my lip!!!!!!!!!!!! so that tell me what ever happen to the guides on this rod was pretty harsh
if the truth ever comes out id like to know

Date: August 08, 2009 09:54AM

Oh Rolly of the Far North!

Wherefore Art Thou Bro?

We are hoping you are not pulling doubles in the reactor room when the inquisition of a cold climate angler is such an important issue.

A number of pea brained micro builders are highly interested in Paul Harvey's tag line -

And now the rest of the story??

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 08, 2009 10:06AM

It is unlikely that somebody would have pulled the rod from a locker or storage box in such a way as to rip 8 guides from the rod. Maybe a couple, but not 8 in a single pass. The far more likely scenario is that the line did entangle the first guide and then strip the next 7 guides from the rod before unfouling or untangling from the first.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster