I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winter time Float Rod - Guides question
Posted by: Brian Morrow (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 06, 2009 01:30PM

My question is about guide selection for float rods that will be fishing during the winter months in Northeast Ohio (freezing, or below freezing conditions). I have talked to other area builders and none of them recommend using anything other than a byag or tysg style guide because of line freezing and line slap issues, but one of the areas most respected tackle shop owners uses a G. Loomis STFR1601-SK float rod. This particular rod uses a size 7 tiptop and BLAG size 8 running guides, and the tackle shop owners absolutely loves it!
This caused me to start questioning the standard arrangement, or suggested guide style. Most of the rods we use in this area for Steelhead are 11 to 15 feet, so the weight savings would/could be tremendous... if these will work.

My thoughts are:
1) We're using venter pin reels so the line is always moving - freezing should not be an issues.
2) Center pin reels do not have the occilation that a spinning reel does; they're more like a baitcasting reel, so taming the line and line slap shouldn't be too much of a concern.

Do any of you have experience using single foot fly guides on winter time float rods?
Does my logic make sense?

Tight wraps!
Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winter time Float Rod - Guides question
Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: August 06, 2009 02:34PM

Here is a recipe I drew up for light line fishing out here but in the winter months I see your problem. You could easily jump up to 07 or 08 rings in the same guide series listed. Karry

XST1562F Center Pin
Rainshadow XST Salmon Steelhead

Component Part Number Part Description
Rod Blank Model # XST1562F-TC 13' 2pc Lt 6-10lb Salmon/Steelhead - Titanium Chrome
Butt Cap: AF2SG 2" Aluminum Fighting Butt- Shiney Gunsmoke
Reel Seat Shim: SHIM/16/SPIN Proof Board .590" OD 3.70" Length
Reel Seat Body: BPSTG16 NPSTG Pipe seat textured (Threads down)
Reel Seat Hood: GTT16C-SN-TC Hood w/cush Single Nut - True Light TiCH
Trim: TRS16-TC X 2 Trim Ring for Spin Seat size 16 TiCH
Fore Grip: FG11.0-250A 11" Midwest Steelhead Foregrip - A Grade
Rear Grip: RG9A-345 9" Cork Rear Grip A Grade
Winding Check: AWC414 Lt TitCar Plated Winding Check .414" I.D.
Hookeeper: TCHKS Small TiCH Hook Keeper
Tip Top XTCPPCT06R04.0 ALPS SS316-RRD-P Top 06 TiCH Ring 4.0 Tube - TICH w/o Chrome
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XPTCFCG ALPS SS316 - TiCH w/o Chrome Single Foot with TiCH Zirconium Ring RRD
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XTCYTCG ALPS SS316 - Y Guide TiCH w/o Chrome Single Foot with TiCH Zirconium Thin Ring
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XPTCVDTCG ALPS SS316 - TICH w/o Chrome Double Foot VD Frame TiCH Zirconium Thin Ring

Guide order from the tip top Guide Guide Placement - In inches from the tip top
1st XPTCFCG06 3.5"
2nd XPTCFCG06 8"
3rd XPTCFCG06 13.5"
4th XPTCFCG06 20"
5th XPTCFCG07 27.25"
6th XTCYTCG07 36"
7th XTCYTCG07 45.5"
8th XTCYTCG08 56"
9th XTCYTCG08 67"
10th XTCYTCG10 79"
11th XTCYTCG10 92"
12th XTCYTCG12 106"
13th XPTCVDTCG20 121"

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 07, 2009 08:56AM

I'd take a look at what others in that area are using and see how the sizes of their guides are faring as far as freezing are concerned. If you can employ smaller guides without problems, so much the better.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: August 07, 2009 03:33PM

I'm just getting into building on a new custom designed 15' CTS blank that is nearly a 1/2 ounce lighter than the Loomis 1863 GLX 15' blank and to keep the weight down an going with Fugi TLSG7's as running guides and TYSG's for the rest of the guides. I no longer fish any kind of frog water so line sticking to the blank on rainy days won't be an issue.
I have a friend in Alaska that runs Netcraft Flexillite's and a Fugi SIC tip top with a lot of success. He is using size 8's and says they do not ice up as much as other guides.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Brian Morrow (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 07, 2009 05:13PM

Karry;
Thank you. I've ordered a set.

Tom;
The thing is most builders around here go with the old standard of single foot spinning guides (20j, 16j, 12j, 10j, 8j, 8Lj as running guides and tiptop). I'm trying to get away from using these style guides on the tip section of the rod to save weight and reduce torque at the handle.

Dave;
The CTS blanks are remarkable!
Your guide arrangement is more or less what I was asking about.
I don't fish too much frog water either, and with a size 8 TLSG I don't see line contact being an issue because the line is always moving with the current.
All I run on my floats rods is size 8's for running guides as well as one for the tiptop.

Thank ya'll for your input!
Tight wraps,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster