I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork Filler
Posted by: Rusty Byrley (---.houston-06rh15rt.tx.dial-access.att.net)
Date: July 28, 2009 07:08PM

I'm looking for advice on filling pits in cork handles

Re: Cork Filler
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 28, 2009 08:13PM

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 28, 2009 08:16PM

Wood putty. Cork dust and Duco Cement. There are many ways to do this.

Posted by: Jon Gold (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 28, 2009 08:23PM

i like Elmer's Glue carpenters wood filler in the Golden Oak color.
It's like $2.50 at the hardware store for a huge tube.
Or, you can do a search and you'll probably get about 40 items about it.
Jon

Date: July 28, 2009 08:35PM

Thanks Tom, I was looking for something like this. I didn't want to have to order another specialty item. I've tried several wood putties but have not found the right color. I have several water base woodfillers and may try mixing them in small quantities to get the right color. I have found that epoxy is to hard to deal with. Rusty

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.boi.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: July 28, 2009 08:58PM

I know your question was about filling the pits in cork grips, but I may have another thought. I just finished a couple of rods, and was asking myself if I wanted to let these rods go out with the pits in the cork ( and like you, I didn't know how to fill them). I had already sanded these grips smooth with 800 grit sand paper, and ran a coat of U-40 Cork sealer. I know that you are not supposed to run a second coat of this product, but I did. I let this dry, and did a light sanding with 800 to 1000 grit, and then ran 2 coats of Johnson paste wax on the whole rod. This is like waxing a car. Put on a coat, wait for it to dry, and then polish. The cork took on a pateena that reminds me of some of the old and well used rods. The pits that I was worried about actually added a little characture to these grips (dark brown and shiny).

I may be so far off on the typical techniques of building rods that I will get "are you kidding" type emails. I have basically been building rods in a vacuum for 30 years. I learned from my Dad, and until recently, I didn't have the sounding board of the internet.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 28, 2009 10:45PM

I do like Jon Gold. Same color, works great.

Mike, you are right on. You can make some beautiful grips with a little experimenting. That's one thing that makes them Custom Rods.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.63.---)
Date: July 29, 2009 03:27AM

Go with Jon. I know some rod manufactures use the Elmer's product Golden Oak . One of those hidden secrets

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: July 29, 2009 08:34AM

I just ordered a tube from Mudhole and I guess they were out of their private label tubes, I got Elmers Golden Oak.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: July 29, 2009 10:47AM

Give our Pit Paste a try, It is made just to fill small gaps in cork grips. We sell it in 1 and 2oz sizes. it is not on our site so give us a call and we will be glad to help you. Scott

Date: July 29, 2009 10:18PM

Hey Jon,
Thanks for the great tip. I got some today and it worked like a champ Rusty Byrley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster